Sump Volume

lmm1967

Reaction score
What volume sump are most of you guys running?

I have 2 tanks plumbed together - currently a 60 & 40 - soon to be a 120 & 40.  I currently am using a 40b homemade sump and I'm slightly stressed over whether that will be large enough to handle both the 120 & 40 together.

So - for the members with 150g+ volume tanks - what is the volume of your sump?

IMHO sump volume helps overall water volume for stability in some ways. More water takes more fish waste to increase your PO4 and NO3 of course as we're measuring in PPM. Otherwise sump volume has less to do with what size tank it can "handle". I feel function is more important. 10g of a well made refugium might be worth more than just 50g of water volume. I used two 20g sumps in line for a 210g with about 25g of water volume between the two. 140g uses about 25g of water in a sump that could hold 40g. I would use the same sump on a bigger tank but then again, I'd also probably go as big as money and space permitted.

Personally, I'm running a 200g display and a 180g sump.  I don't think the size of the sump matters though as I've run tanks in the past successfully with much smaller tank to sump ratios.  The key is really whether or not you have enough space for sufficient nutrient export in your sump.  Honestly, I think with algae reactors being in the meta these days you can get away with a much smaller sump that simply fits your skimmer, filter sock and return.

Space is my main issue - not going to run a sump under with tank, right not it's between the tanks situated in the corner. Actually very well hidden until you walk right up to the tank.

I'm contemplating doing a remote sump, through the wall one of the tanks is on, in a room off the garage that currently houses HW heater, furnace and my 2 50 gallon water storage / mixing barrels.

Inside I could not go any larger than the 40b -  in the room - I could potentially go a little bigger if I used a stock tank or something.

Either way - thanks for your input - seems my volume is at least workable for now.

Back