Sun System LumenMax Elite

reef_addict

Supporting
Reaction score
Is anyone in ARC using the new Sun System LumenMax elite reflector? I am trying to decide between the purchase of this reflector and a Lumenarc Mini reflector. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.

product_info.php

Have you looked at the Lumenbrights? It may be better to go with a known product than marketing if you don't know anything about the product (esp. at $150!).

I'm interested in these as well. There is some info on RC and it looks like they have some potential. There is only limited info out there on these. Looks like they do have some very good spread. They are big.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1342619&perpage=25&pagenumber=1">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1342619&perpage=25&pagenumber=1</a>

I'm going to stop by aquariumspecialty to look at them this week, if Scott has them.

They've been getting some rave reviews. I'd like to see someone do a test using the same bulb, ballast, etc on some reflectors.

Skriz;210836 wrote: They've been getting some rave reviews. I'd like to see someone do a test using the same bulb, ballast, etc on some reflectors.

Raj, if you buy me one I'll review it. :D

I think it maybe to big for my little old 58 gallon tank. But it looks like all Sunlight reflectors will now have that hammertone material.

I have the lumenmax, which has a combo of the polished and hammertone.

I won't buy it for ya, but don't mind helping test :D

MACNA will only be in Atlanta for a few days. The Elite will be available for ages. You may even win a reflector at a raffle during MACNA; now wouldn't that be a treat? :)

Not a lighting expert, but I can't see how a hammertone reflector can outperform a mirror finish like the Lumenbright/Lumenbright minis?

I have three 400 Watt LB MInis on my 210 and they are bright!
Dave

Lumenbrights are nice I have a pair. I think they are geat for light penatration.I also have 2 lumenmax2. I don't think I will be using lumenbrights on my display because I do not like the look of a 1.5' to 2' canopy. I will try the lumenmax and if I am disappointed then will look into the lumenbrights.

I hope the new elite will outperform the old lumenmax.

Dough if you buy the luman elite in single ended and don't like it i will buy it from you. At a disount of coruse.lol:lol2:

Joe

sailfish;210881 wrote:
Dough if you buy the luman elite in single ended and don't like it i will buy it from you. At a disount of coruse.lol:lol2:

Joe

What? You want a discount? :eek: :D

Seriously though, those are 17" wide. My tank is only 18". Talk about light spilling out of the tank. I just don't think those are the way to go for my tank.

The hammertone gives a more even distibution of liight; it outperforms by not having hot-spots.

The reflector has a nice 2' x 2' spread, can do up to 3'.

I purchased from Creation Reef & Aquatics, three of the LumenMax Elite's and put them up a 1 1/2 weeks ago with Matthew's help on my 72 x 18.5 x 30 tank. I have been slowly increasing the light so as to not shock the few low light corals I do have. I have the reflectors paired with the new Galaxy Ballasts and Phoenix 250 watt bulbs. The Reflectors are very large, but look great and I still have enough room to do my maintenance. I don't have very much light spill, in fact less than the T5's I had up previously (according to my wife). I really wasn't paying attention to light spill. I have an 8in tall hood, so they are fairly close to the water. I don't have any equipment for par ratings unless someone wants to come test. To give you an idea of how good the tank looks with them though, after we finished installing, my wife said they were worth the money. Now I just have to install a chiller.:up:

I may buy one but can't do it for 150. Is there any place where they are cheaper?

FrugalFish;210962 wrote: I purchased from Creation Reef & Aquatics, three of the LumenMax Elite's and put them up a 1 1/2 weeks ago with Matthew's help on my 72 x 18.5 x 30 tank. I have been slowly increasing the light so as to not shock the few low light corals I do have. I have the reflectors paired with the new Galaxy Ballasts and Phoenix 250 watt bulbs. The Reflectors are very large, but look great and I still have enough room to do my maintenance. I don't have very much light spill, in fact less than the T5's I had up previously (according to my wife). I really wasn't paying attention to light spill. I have an 8in tall hood, so they are fairly close to the water. I don't have any equipment for par ratings unless someone wants to come test. To give you an idea of how good the tank looks with them though, after we finished installing, my wife said they were worth the money. Now I just have to install a chiller.:up:

Do you have pictures? What where you running before you put them on? Do they throw that much heat out?

Steve;210988 wrote: I may buy one but can't do it for 150. Is there any place where they are cheaper?

I think that price is the going price.

They are a new product with limited supply so don't expect any significant discount for a bit. They are getting very good reviews and some of the numbers posted puts them in the same class as the LumenBright and Lumenarc reflectors. All of these "newer" reflectors offer significant improvements over the older technology. That being said, along with the Minis, the Elite's will give use another option as you should take into consideration the dimensions you are going to be lighting as well as any installation limitations you might face. Although they are large reflectors, their size puts them in between the LA III/ LB reflectors and the mini versions of both but they are shallower which will benefit those with lower height canopies.

dough;210841 wrote: I think it maybe to big for my little old 58 gallon tank.

Doug, I think you should hang a couple of the LB minis over your 58 :up:

Back