Super loud durso drain system...should I try a herbie setup?

DavidinGA;852908 wrote: Yeah that was my wifes lol. Hope she didn't mind me making it a "junk" cup now :up:

Ha ha, two of my wife's has been donated to the cause also!

So... No one has a pvc gate valve in my area. Will a ball valve work (after long tedious adjustments) for a Herbie setup?

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Tapatalk 2

DavidinGA;853221 wrote: So... No one has a pvc gate valve in my area. Will a ball valve work (after long tedious adjustments) for a Herbie setup?

I just set mine up last night with a ball valve... Took awhile to get it "just" right but everything seems good now.

Ball valve will work. Just be patient, and adjust it very minimally, then wait for the tank to balance before adjusting again...

I had to order my gate valve from Amazon. No one had them here in Montgomery, AL either...

I used a ball valve on my BA setup and it worked fine.
You should be able to get gate valves from Lowes or HD but a ball valve will work fine.

Curtismaximus;853250 wrote: I used a ball valve on my BA setup and it worked fine.
You should be able to get gate valves from Lowes or HD but a ball valve will work fine.

Does your Lowes and HD carry PVC gate valves? Mine only carries CPVC gate valves...

CedzAquAddiction;853252 wrote: Does your Lowes and HD carry PVC gate valves? Mine only carries CPVC gate valves...

Neither one carries gate valves in my area... at least none that I could find.

<span style="font-size: 11px">Not that you asked me... I thought I'd answer regardless</span> :)

CedzAquAddiction;853252 wrote: Does your Lowes and HD carry PVC gate valves? Mine only carries CPVC gate valves...

Yea my Lowes did, they were separate from the other PVC stuff though. They were with the union fittings and union ball valves.

Well I plumb some stand pipes and made a Herbie setup but I never found a local store with gate valves so I used a ball valve I had laying around. I can't seem to get it dialed down to keep the emergency dry it always has a trickle. I'm guessing it's because this clumsy ball valve I have isn't very easy to get fine tune.

I went from super super load drainage in the sump to whisper quiet though! &#65532;

Now I need to order a ball valve and maybe a strainer or two. Did you guys add a strainer or drill some holes in the pvc and cap the stand pipes or something to keep the pipe clear of snails/others?

I left the smallest trickle through the 2rd pipe... I drilled a few holes in the drain pipe to protect against snail blockages.

The whisper quiet drain was well worth the pain of messing with all of it.

DavidinGA;853650 wrote: Well I plumb some stand pipes and made a Herbie setup but I never found a local store with gate valves so I used a ball valve I had laying around. I can't seem to get it dialed down to keep the emergency dry it always has a trickle. I'm guessing it's because this clumsy ball valve I have isn't very easy to get fine tune.

I went from super super load drainage in the sump to whisper quiet though! &#65532;

Now I need to order a ball valve and maybe a strainer or two. Did you guys add a strainer or drill some holes in the pvc and cap the stand pipes or something to keep the pipe clear of snails/others?

Here is what I put at the end of my pipes for snails...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DVTF6E/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1">Amazon.com: Lifegard Aquatics 3/4-Inch Threaded Suction/Overflow Strainer: Pet Supplies</a>

Here is the gate valve I ordered. Just give it some time between adjustments. The water from the sump and DT have to react to the adjustment before you adjust again. I usually give 15-20 minutes between adjustments...
[IMG]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5YD8I/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1">King Brothers Inc. GVP-0750-S 3/4-Inch Slip PVC Schedule 40 Gate Valve, White - Amazon.com</a>

Best of Luck!!!!

BTW: Where are the stinking pictures of your progress? LOL...

leveldrummer;853690 wrote: with a herbie, you will always have that slight trickle down the 2nd pipe, there is no way to get the 1st pipe siphon timed perfectly with the return pump, they would have to be balanced perfectly.

the slight trickle down the 2nd pipe is perfect. get some strainers over those pipes.

if your setup ever starts to make a loud flushing noise, it means something is clogging the pipe, open up the valve all the way first to try and flush it out then reset it.

Well it's good to know I got it correct.

I went ahead and ordered a gate valve to make my life a little easier....

Back