Supplemental VHOs on the 465 SPS Tank.

:blush:

Yeah, 2x1000W Helios 20ks + VHOs front/back on the old tank. Had R2 moonlights but over a year they mostly crapped out so stopped using them. I didn't run the VHOs with teh halides but even with 1000's I could still tell a nice difference when I ran them at the same time. coral pop for sure. I ran Super Actinics. I'd really like to see the 454's Dave when you get them. if you want to throw a 454 next to a Super actinic, bring one over. :yes:

Ralph, I'll have a couple extra 36"/48" VHO lamps in the next few weeks and some end caps if you want just try them and see if you like the look. Waiting on Kris to bring me an extra 660 too.

Edit:
Mikesmith34;912233 wrote: How do you deal with the heat coming off 2 x 1000 watts/ Exhaust vents?

Regular fan blowing across the lamps, A/C vent under the tank, and externally mounted fan that periodically pulled heat from over the tank area outside the house and a large external chiller.

Seth The Wine Guy;912230 wrote: I think those 1000 watters did something special though. I don't think it's something simply measured in watt to watt comparison. I'd take 2x 1000w over 3x 400w. Just like I would take a 300hp car with torque and no turbo over a 300hp car that needs turbo to get it there. I just think of the 1000w as a pure muscle car. You loose fuel efficiency with all that muscle but who cares when you want NASCAR performance?

I don' think you can compare the two lighting systems either. Different brands, different bulbs, etc. I used Helios bulbs in the 400 watt Mogul variety when I first got into reefing, and that was what was over my 210 tank when it was TOTM in 2009 (I think it was 2009). Still the best bulb for SPS color IME. I liked it even more than Radiums, which are the next best thing in a halide, IMO.

It was such a shame that their quality was so poor that you would get one bad bulb for every good one. Every supplier in the country stopped carrying them. You just can't find them any more.

I don't think Oz had the same issue with the 1000 watt ones, however.

Acroholic;912313 wrote:

I don't think Oz had the same issue with the 1000 watt ones, however.

uh, yeah I did but I just made sure I had extra so I could deal with returning bad ones. Had 1 2 different times clearly marked 20k but it was a 10k lamp for sure. Had a couple that wouldn't fire, etc etc. Shame.

Oz;912319 wrote: uh, yeah I did but I just made sure I had extra so I could deal with returning bad ones. Had 1 2 different times clearly marked 20k but it was a 10k lamp for sure. Had a couple that wouldn't fire, etc etc. Shame.

I stand corrected, sir!:yes: Really a shame...great bulb.

Back