Surging standpipe?

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I have 2 megaflow type dursos, made by AGA I think. One works well, the other surges. What causes this? I have removed it an it looks perfectly normal?

I would say that its not breaking the vacume. I can plug the hole on my DIY durso and mine starts surging. Just a possibility

What is at the other end of each overflow? I have the same problem and right now both my overflows go down to the basement and ultimately go into a sump under the water. After talking to Mojo I'm going to try raising them out of the sump water. I don't mind the noise so much, but I'm also splitting one of them to gravity feed my skimmer and because of the surging the water level in the skimmer varies a couple of inches and it is keeping it from skimming. I'll start another thread as well since we may have two different issues with the same result.

MIne both just flow into the sump. Both my pipes exit under water, But for some reason only one surges.

For Bud's issue:
Its quieter to have your pipe exit under water... You don't have to give up this to remove surging. All you have to do is add a T to the end and create a lil "durso". The exit "durso" allows air to escape upwards and for the water to go downward. You get the best of both worlds as it is quiet like a submerged pipe and there is no surging which is caused by air backing up in the pipes.

Chris - your issue is most likely due to an air hole that is just a bit too small. :)

That seems weird that it is only the one that does it. Where it exits under the water can you see the bubbles coming out? Do they look equal?

On a tank with the sump directly underneath I was able to stop the surging by putting a tee in the exit line so the water would fall down through the pipe and and the air could release upward. Unfortunately, that's not working for my basement sump.

Ha! You type faster than I do! I've done that on other tanks and it worked and I have done that to the basement one as well but still have the problem.

FutureInterest;185652 wrote: For Bud's issue:
Its quieter to have your pipe exit under water... You don't have to give up this to remove surging. All you have to do is add a T to the end and create a lil "durso". The exit "durso" allows air to escape upwards and for the water to go downward. You get the best of both worlds as it is quiet like a submerged pipe and there is no surging which is caused by air backing up in the pipes.

Chris - your issue is most likely due to an air hole that is just a bit too small. :)

Bah you're slipping :). Yah the principle is the same... just more water movement and air involved I imagine. Perhaps if you increased the air hole for the durso in the overflow?

I've opened a new thread for mine to keep from hijacking this one since we probably have similar symptoms but maybe different solutions.

So back to corvettecris! Should he open the hole in the one that is having the issue and if so by how much? Is there any other things he can try before doing something that can't be undone without starting over?

Not sure on the setups you guys have bit I have a hole drilled to accept 1/4 airline then I have a valve on that. I can adjust how much air it will pull. When I get it too far closed mine starts surging I can open it and actually controll the water level in my overflow box.

Basically my take is that the siphon increases the flow dramatically to the point the box cant handle it. it empties the box then breaks the siphon and repeat. by increasing the hole size it keeps the siphon broke. I have a diy external durso. I dont even have the cap on the t glued. I can pull it all the way off so I dont think you will hurt it by increasing the size of the hole. anyway here is a pic of my setup I would assume its simmilar accept your durso is internal.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
185675=11264-oceanic cube build 005.jpg int.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
185675=11264-oceanic cube build 005.jpg int.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="oceanic cube build 005.jpg int.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I will try the T, then maybe widen the hole. I still am gonna split off the drain to the fuge, so I will do this first as well to see if it alters anything.

Ok, I drilled the hole bigger, and it stopped surging. But now, it is bubbling terribly. It constantly gurgles. I tried putting T on the end, but it didnt help in the least. Is the T supposed to be completely submerged, or is there some trick? Any other ideas on why it bubbles so much? THe other standpipe hardly bubbles at all.

Ok, still no luck. I just switched the standpipes with each other. THe one that previously was silent now gurgles. Soooo it is a problem with the plumbing underneath, best I can figure.

not sure what to sudgest on the bubbling but your at least a step closer by getting it to stop surging. Any pics of the plumbing?

Ha, not really, it's all torn apart and has seen various configurations tonight.

Funny thing: I copied the plumbing for the side that doesn't bubble on the bad side. It still bubbles. So, it's not the standpipe or the plumbing. I leveled the tank and double checked filled, so it cant be off level. WTF is going on?

Could something like a leak in the plumbing cause a huge bubble problem? I noticed that after I turn the return pump off, the bad side leaks slightly out of the drain. The bulkhead is ok, so the standpipe must allow a little water to seep out. Is it possible this is pulling major air when draining? The leak just drips lightly.

i think maybe the hole is creating a venturi and is pulling in air to the plumbing.

Back