symbiotic or coincidense?

jetchris

Market
Reaction score
Today one of my wrasse jumped out and was wiggling on the floor. I put him back in the water but it looked as if he died once he hit the water. His body flailing as the currents passed. This went on for about 20 seconds. Out of nowwhere my flame hawked grapped him and whisked him away to the tunnel of my brittle star who happens to be the size of a basketball. Once in the brittle stars territory the flame hawk released the wrasse. Once the wrasse was free the brittle star came out and wrapped one of his legs around the recently deceased fish. It reminded me of the movie Ananconda. I wonder if the flame hawk has some type of relationship with the brittle star??

Barbara;160328 wrote: Or maybe the brittle star was hungry, and told the flame hawk "hey buddy - you're next!", and the flame hawk was just capitalizing on his good fortune of finding an "offering" to spare his own life one more day. you might need to have a talk with that starfish.

mmm good thinking, ill do that but im not sure the brittle star can hear or understand the english language.

chrisjet;160330 wrote: mmm good thinking, ill do that but im not sure the brittle star can hear or understand the english language.

Yeah-mine speaks Portuguese

I think the wrasse might've been alive when the starfish got him... Jumpers can go catatonic for a few minutes as they are essentially in shock. :)

FutureInterest;160360 wrote: I think the wrasse might've been alive when the starfish got him... Jumpers can go catatonic for a few minutes as they are essentially in shock. :)

Same thing happened to my 6 line...after several minutes he was swimming around

Barbara;160328 wrote: Or maybe the brittle star was hungry, and told the flame hawk "hey buddy - you're next!", and the flame hawk was just capitalizing on his good fortune of finding an "offering" to spare his own life one more day. you might need to have a talk with that starfish.

This is more-than-likely what occurred.

was that a green brittle star, by any chance? I have been wanting a brittle star, because it would be really cool to be able to have it come out for feedings and even hand-feed it, but I don't want it to eat the fishies.

Are there brittle stars that are less aggressive?

The thought that the flame wrasse is terrified enough of the thing to try to keep it fed (if that is indeed what happened) doesn't sound so fun for the flame wrasse.

I have a large brittle star in the 10 gal school tank. I put in 2 small peppermint shrimp that disappeared by the next day. Can I assume that it is agressive and it had them for "snack"
Sheryle

I agree with Barb. Also a healthy shrimp is hard for a brittle to catch. Keep in mind also that peppermints are very very shy. I often forget that I have one in my tank as I see it so rarely. So they might actually still be in there.

I came home from work one time and found one of my sixlines on the counter, completely dry and stiff but I saw it's gills moving, so I put it in my refugium and it came back after a couple hours of lying on the bottom. Next time try giving it a peaceful place to recover.

Back