T-5 vs MH

zanski

Market
Reaction score
p47987b.jpg
alt="" />http://www.thatpetplace.com/grafx/spacer.gif" alt="" />[B][B]48" Nova Extreme 8x54W T5 HO w/4 Lunar (Current) VS.[/B][/B]

[IMG]http://javascript:popupWin1('/product/detailed_image.cfm?pCatId=13975&large=/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg_22897_35379P.jpg', 50, 50, 460, 485)">[IMG]http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20060707173158/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p_22897_35379P.jpg alt="" /></a>48"300W
(2-150W HQI)
LETS HEAR IT :D

:help: HELP:help:

....yet.

actually between those two I think Id go for the T5s.
150w MHs dont do you much good since most 4ft tanks are fairly deep.

LOL i know just want to know the diff. of just mh vs t-5 and opinions

How about waiting a year for the price of LED's to come out?

I have the sunpod fixture and it works great, but expect the electric bill to increase. If you want energy efficient, go with T5's. You wouldn't have true actinic lighting with the MH fixture, but the blue moon lights are pretty cool and make corals glow. I would suggest a fixture with supplements if you want MH's.

What are your plans for the tank?

If you decide to go the T5 route, look at the SLS Tek fixture or the Aquatinic fixture. The NOVA fixture does not the individual reflectors that really make the T5's what they are. If you can use a retro kit, the IceCap SLR reflectors.

I guess if i got MH lights i would have a blue actincs in the hood too. I want something around 75 gallon

For me (inho :) It is relatively simple...

The T5's are "just" an improvement of the basic NO flourescent (sp?) light. better output, more efficient, better spectrum.

The MH's is the Standard (for lack of a better term) of excellence.

MH's COST... more heat, more AC, possible chiller, more expensive bulbs...

T5's... Low energy consuption, no/low heat, long bulb life... (no shimmer :(

In the south, MH's cost big time in the summer...

What do you want? I would (and have) gone the flourescent way. Dont want to trade the energy cost for the shimmer. But that is just moi...

I certainly understand anyone who has chosen MH... The look hasen't been duplicated yet!

johnny

Since I wanted to keep clams of all breeds, my choices were pretty much MH or ... MH. Other than aesthetics, your desired livestock rules the choice more, IMO.

Yo tone you had home bro? MUST BE NICE!! I do not want to be limited on buying anything. Lets turn this into a poll. Tony if you could set up a poll for the 2 mack daddy fixtures, MH and T-5's for a 75 gallon. Then im going shopping:yay:

Zanski wrote: Yo tone you had home bro? MUST BE NICE!! I do not want to be limited on buying anything. Lets turn this into a poll. Tony if you could set up a poll for the 2 mack daddy fixtures, MH and T-5's for a 75 gallon. Then im going shopping:yay:

At home not had lol

Zanski wrote: I do not want to be limited on buying anything.

If this is the case, I recommend 2 -250w MH's and supplements.

Call Doug at Reeftanklighting.com- he's an ARC sponsor and can really guide you in making this decision.

I've seen some impressive sps and clams kept under t-5 bulbs with individual reflectors. Don't think that halides are the only lights that will work for those corals. For even more light, you could overdrive the t-5 with an icecap ballast, that's what I have and it is seriously bright. JMHO

Hey Hoang!!! Havent talked to you in a while... Welcome to the ARC! Glad to have you on board!

(not at home today Dustin... I need to show my face 3-4times a week at the office)
btw, you have the ability to setup polls... look for it near the bottom of the page when you start a thread.

Thanks Tony. Yeah, I can't wait for the next picnic up here or maybe I'll try to make it down to an ARC meeting. I spend most of my time on TRT.

Back