T5 54w ballast suggestions

wildernets

Market
Reaction score
I am building a light for a 120 and I want to ping you guys to see what ballasts you are using. I will be running 4 54w bulbs. Just for full disclosure. I am running them as 420 and 460 nm actinics along side 2 250w HQI Pheonix 14k metal halide lights.

Thanks for the help.

OK so do you guy have a suggestion for a different type of light? Not LED.

I would see if you could find a couple of t5 ho icecap ballast they are good ballast

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I would use an Icecap 660 ballast. One ballast can drive all 4 54W T5 bulbs. They will be a bit overdriven (you will get more light out of the bulbs) so the color temp of the bulbs my be a little more white than on other ballasts so keep that in mind when selecting bulbs.

There have been a couple cheap Icecap 660 ballasts for sale on the site recently.

Ice Cap t5 blast were good for me. Coral vue bought those ballast. Not sure if they are the same now.

what you want is made by Coral Vue now.. its called a Vue 660.
it over drives the lamps and is suppose to put out another 30-40% PAR... which is substantial

here is where to get them

http://www.aquacave.com/VUE-660-Electronic-VHO-Ballast-P825.aspx">http://www.aquacave.com/VUE-660-Electronic-VHO-Ballast-P825.aspx</a>

Edit: I have 2 on my system running my T5s.. they get warm, but seem to be doing a fine job over my standard ballasts

A Workhorse 7 should do it. My experience with the Workhorse 5 and 7 models were good even though I only ran them for a short period of time.

Why not go LED?

wait.. i didn't see that you were just running them as supplemental lights.. honestly, I don't think you'll NEED the 660.

It will help with the xfiles image. "Hey mom, why does that house glow blue"?

I have some ballasts that will run 4 lamps a shot (I have two) ill get the details for you in a few hours if you're interested. Nothing is wrong with them, I just replaced them with other ballasts.

B

;)

Back