T5 bulb for sps 40 breeder

write2bfree

Market
Reaction score
Hello,

currently I am using all 6x ati t5 bulbs for my sps frag tank. I have the following bulbs from ati:

Front to back:
Blue +
Aqua blue special
Blue +
Purple +
Coral +
Blue +

If I switched out either the coral plus or the blue plus with an true actinic, would that give me a better par for the 40 breeder? I feel like the top towards the upper middle is getting too much light. My red planet started to turn pink because I placed it at the top level on my egg crate...it was green and red before. Thank you.

Here is a picture of my tank:
88defd7590c4bd563f7e5ad3faf92d82.jpg
alt="" />

Switching anything to a t5 ACTINIC will certainly give you worse PAR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnowManSnow;1037991 wrote: Switching anything to a t5 ACTINIC will certainly give you worse PAR

Oh okay thank you, so what is the whole point of an actnic bulb? Like what does it do for the tank in terms of lighting?

In a study a fellow reefer did a few years ago the blue plus exhibited 330 par while the same brand actinic only gave 130.

That being said if you have a shallow tank <24" , and you're getting enough par anyway (6-7 good solid lamps) it won't really hurt you to swap one out for an actinic.
M

SnowManSnow;1038002 wrote: In a study a fellow reefer did a few years ago the blue plus exhibited 330 par while the same brand actinic only gave 130.

That being said if you have a shallow tank <24" , and you're getting enough par anyway (6-7 good solid lamps) it won't really hurt you to swap one out for an actinic.
M

Awesome!! Thank you so much!!

Looking at your OP, you should have plenty of growing power there . I don't see any harm in replacing one w an actinic, a although it will probably get overpowered by the rest of them.

By better par do you want more or less light? If the goal is to have less light, Ty switching out the coral+

Back