T5 fixture??

With t5s its more about bulbs, ballasts, and moisture resistance. Almost any t5 fixture that supports HO will work with reef bulbs. Its a question of if the fixture can stand up to the humidity/salt of a reef tank. Even reefing fixtures often struggle with rust though. All that as a long winded way to say, that fixture would work to grow coral with the right bulbs. Can't speak on the quality of the components though.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

With t5s its more about bulbs, ballasts, and moisture resistance. Almost any t5 fixture that supports HO will work with reef bulbs. Its a question of if the fixture can stand up to the humidity/salt of a reef tank. Even reefing fixtures often struggle with rust though. All that as a long winded way to say, that fixture would work to grow coral with the right bulbs. Can't speak on the quality of the components though.

Not sur it would be that bad it would be over an open top 45g cube

Not sur it would be that bad it would be over an open top 45g cube

maybe a acrylic sheet over it??

What size tank? Long run those LEDs will be cheaper vs. replacing bulbs every year.

Personally - I would go with the LEDs. Program it. No replacing bulbs.
JBJ 45g cube, have a Prime HD on it now, cant find a 2nd one anywere

Older pic

Attachments

• 20190513_165957.jpg
    20190513_165957.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 5
The prime should be sufficient for most everything. Its spread is 24x24. Are you trying to go SPS dominant?

You could buy a hybrid setup to give you more coverage. Something like this:

In reality though, SPS up top, LPS middle, sofites below, the prime should be good. I have the Viparspectra and its a solid budget light but it won't be any better than the prime by itself IMO.

Even the retrofit kits struggle with salt damage on the reflectors. I won't do it again without a glass or acrylic protective panel.
You be surprised how even smaller fish will splash from time to time.

Even the retrofit kits struggle with salt damage on the reflectors. I won't do it again without a glass or acrylic protective panel.
You be surprised how even smaller fish will splash from time to time.
I know!! I have the aquaticlife ones and they are 14" above water and still get splash on it. I need to figure out how I could add a glass panel to it for easier cleaning.

These fixtures are just fine. They are very cost effective so some grow out facilities opt to use them on their frag tanks. I think Tidal gardens uses these exclusively.

Back