T5 Lighting PPL PAR question

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
ok.. the numbers shown here are from the long time GrimReefer readings back in 08 taken from 48" TEK t5 Lamp. I know they probably aren't perfect, but I have yet to find a better source.

I need new lamps for my Constellation (change every 6 months just to keep things tip top)

This is my current lamp setup (NOT ORDER.. JUST HOW MANY OF WHAT)

LAMP PAR READING # OF THESE LAMPS
ATI BLUE + 311 3
ATI ABS 336 2
UVL AquaSun 340 2 TOTAL PAR = 2285.

I was considering doing this for the next 6 months to try and squeeze out more PAR.

ATI BLUE + 311 2
ATI ABS 336 2
UVL AquSun 345 2
GE Daylight 240 1 TOTAL PAR = 2324

How much does only 35 PAR matter? Is it enough to justify a lamp config change like this?

Thanks for the input!

B

How much does it matter?

1.5% mathematically

Personally, I would not give that a second thought.

You don't actually add PAR like that. PAR will only be readable at certain depths of the tank with the account of all bulbs...and those numbers will greatly change depending on water conditions, bulbs, and if the T5's have individual reflectors. Also, FWIW, you can run T5's for 12+ months. Changing every 6 months is sort of a waste....unless you sell them.

Check out the UVL lamps with internal reflector. Those take the fixture reflector (individual, design, etc.) out of the equation.

FWIW- the t-12 VHO bulbs with internal reflectors blow anything else away in their category. Until I see otherwise, I will assume this holds true for t-5's also.

glxtrix;591661 wrote: You don't actually add PAR like that. PAR will only be readable at certain depths of the tank with the account of all bulbs...and those numbers will greatly change depending on water conditions, bulbs, and if the T5's have individual reflectors. Also, FWIW, you can run T5's for 12+ months. Changing every 6 months is sort of a waste....unless you sell them.

Right.. These par ratings, from what I understand were taken a foot from the lamp DRY. I realize it will vary depending on water and such, but I was thinking it would give me a + or - at any rate...

The test was taken with a TEK fixture. Which in 2008 wouldn't have had REAL individual reflectors (weren't they just parabolic). I am running the lamps on a Aquactinics Constellation .. WITH VERY good individual reflectors (IMO second only to an ATI PM).

Again, I was only thinking + or - . (where the only thing that mattered was was THIS lamp carrying more PAR than THIS lamp).

I would love to get ahold of an Apogee to see what par I'm actually getting out of my fixture.

B

ichthyoid;591665 wrote: Check out the UVL lamps with internal reflector. Those take the fixture reflector (individual, design, etc.) out of the equation.

FWIW- the t-12 VHO bulbs with internal reflectors blow anything else away in their category. Until I see otherwise, I will assume this holds true for t-5's also.

I MAY BE WRONG.. but the T5s don't have internal reflectors like the t12 did.

B

SnowManSnow;591672 wrote: I MAY BE WRONG.. but the T5s don't have internal reflectors like the t12 did.

B

I think they do now... here is a quote from Marine Depot's page. They are new.

Higher par and lumen value than standard or non reflector T5 ho lamps - up to 20% brighter
180 degree internal reflector adds 30%+ more concentrated light intensity
more consistent heat dispertion which adds to longevity of life
higher color rendering index for more accurate true color dimension

a>

I did some research.. and it seems that that which once was not now is :)

Back