T5 vs. 250w or 400w Metal Halide

frank

Market
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've been thinking of upgrading my lighting from the Outer Orbit HQI to a single MH in either a 400w or 250w configuration. What I'm lighting is a 92 gallon corner tank that is predominately softies, but I'd like to be able to wander into stuff that is more light intensive. Like I said, I was thinking a single 400w MH, but now I'm thinking maybe a few T5s would do the trick and save on power, etc.

What says ye? Comments, suggestions, and normal bantering is all appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

<----listening...I have a 54 corner with 150 mh but building a canopy for upgrade so Im real interested also..ANYONE

I think a good mix of either 175/250MH and either T5s or VHOs produce an excellent spectrum of light which would give you a broad range to grow about anything. I am running a 150W 15K MH & 2X96W (Sunpaq) PC for my frag tank and a 400W 20K MH & 2X75W VHO (Actnic white/blue) on my 160. At the meeting in Sep (I didn't attend) the speaker talked about the PAR from VHO is a better spectrum that T5. There is a trade off in power consumption and heat. I know this is in my/their opinion but I have always had excellent growth with a MH & VHO combo. Good luck with whatever you go with!

MH is the way to go. The shimmer alone is worth it IMO. If you go with 400W, you can use a 20K bulb and still get enough par to grow anything.

VHO's are going to be the best coloured supplements. T5's have nice reflctors, whereas vho's are lacking.

I am a big fan of T5s and now that you can buy LED setups that can give you some shimmer they are even more appealing. That said, PAR from a MH is really hard to beat and the shimmer really can't be matched. If you are willing to live with bulbs that need to be replaced more frequently, heat, increased topoff requirements and a big hit on the electric bill MHs should be at the top of the list. I personally run a mixture (MHs on the ends and T5s in the middle) and the MH ends look better. I grow my SPS on the ends of my tank and softies in the middle.

Okay, so I like the shimmer a lot... so MH it is... I'm currently running a MH/PC mix right now with my Outer Orbit HQI. With a MH only system what should I be looking at when looking at a set-up? Should I nose around and try to find a whole complete unit, or mix and match the reflector, ballast, etc?

Back