T5 vs. HQI questions for new build.

theplantman

Market
Reaction score
So here is the scenario, I am planning a new build this winter of a custom cube. Either 24x24x24 (60 gal) or 30x30x24 (93 gal)

Here are my challenges.

If I go 60 gal, there are plenty of fixtures in that size to choose from both t5 and metal halide, however none of the t5's seem to be able to match the metal halide in output 250w metal halide and the most I am seeing is maybe a 4 lamp 24 or 36 watt t5. Does the lower t5 wattage put out as much light/lumens as the 250hqi. I am trying to understand the value in buying two t5 fixtures to match the output of 1 metal halide.

2nd problem if I go 93 gal, which I would really like to, nobody seems to make a 30" fixture. What do you do? 24" fixtures, or a 36" and then it hangs outside the edge of the tank. And again I run into the wattage issue between t5's and metal halides. I like the outer orbits but it appears current is discontinuing them. And I am loving the way my solana is looking now that I added t5 actinics to run with the sunpod for sunrise/sunset.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I want this tank design to be efficient, but maintain the look I get from my 34 Solana and 20" 250w Sunpod. Plus I want to make sure I maintain the light levels necessary for SPS corals as I would like to add more of them to the next tank.

Help Please...:confused2:

Put a canopy on it and add whatever you want. Retro a 250 or 400. Add some vho actinics

dawgdude;388622 wrote: Ill be honest, I didnt read it all, but I will say that I would suggest looking into SE halides and not HQI unless you really like the phoenix 14k. You have a ton more option with SE and the reflectors would give you the option to light a 30" tank. I kick myself for all the 250w HQI's I have now that I switched to SE for my radiums. Ive run a ton of different light setups so feel free to shot me a pm. Ive currently got a 150w ushio 20k over my 60 cube and its softies and LPS. It is lit surprisingly well.

I don't mean to sound stupid, but what is the difference between an SE halide and HQI. Is an SE a retrofit?

Never mind, single end buld.... Am I right in my thinking though that t5's just dont throw off the same amount of light as halides do in comparable sized fixtures?

Retro fitting is just getting everything not as a fixture and attaching it to a canopy yourself. You can pick out whatever reflector, ballast etc.
DE just do not have as many bulb options as SE yet.
Also hqi's will require certain ballasts while a SE bulb will allow you more options as well. Pulse start, regular magnetic, or electronic. You may even want electronic on the ballast because it will run both. PM and email dawgdude. He can break down more pros and cons and in more detail

don't the T5's run into a delivery issue with deeper tanks?

I'm curious...

Are you looking for a 30" T5 fixture, or 30" HQI or combo (both) fixture?

Jenn

Single Luminarc reflector with a 250w(60g) or 400w(90g) halide and two 36" t5's for accents. BAM done.

T5's are best for shallow tanks, or those with major heat problems. Halides are simply better if you deal with the heat(a small fan blowing across the water below the bulb is all you should need)

I agree... a single 250 MH lamp with a couple 24" Actinics would really fit the bill...

you can wire in a fan on the back and cool everything down...

I got my fans from
a> and they are less than 20db (basically you've got to look at them to see that they are on)...

You can fit 8 bulbs (t5s) in your setup...Go with 8bulb t5ho 24inch retro overdrive 4 of the 8 with an icecap 660 and the other 4 with a regular t5ho ballast...get good reflectors (ice cap or tekII's) This will more than compete with a halide if done properly

dawgdude;388635 wrote: When set up correctly T-5s can compete fully with halides. You just need a very high quality fixture like an ATI or a really good retro. The key to T-5s is to over drive the bulbs, quality bulbs, and very good reflectors.

Sorry to jump in here, but how does one overdrive a T5?
Thx :)

I read that the life goes from 18 months to 12 months for daylight spectrium and 18 months to 10-12 months for actinic...but 15-18 dollars for a bulb (t5) compared to 100+ for halide and I beleave halide are good for 6-8months not to mention you are stuck with 10k, 12k, 14k, or 20k with halide and heat issues unless you add a fan or chiller then you have to worrie about evap issues compared to enless k ranges with the multiple reds, purples, blues etc etc with t5's....If any of that makes any since

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm planning a 210 build and had the same questions.

This maybe the case but when you look at the overall efficientcy of a MH bulb from the beginning compared to a T5 then when you look at the MH bulb loosing 20% of its beginning 1% Efficientcy...IDK...The argument will never go away regardless MH vs T5...

Chris

Rbredding;388695 wrote: I agree... a single 250 MH lamp with a couple 24" Actinics would really fit the bill...

you can wire in a fan on the back and cool everything down...

I got my fans from http://www.coolerguys.com">www.coolerguys.com</a> and they are less than 20db (basically you've got to look at them to see that they are on)...[/QUOTE]

that is basically the exact set up on my 34 gal, i would have thought a 90 would need more light.

Thanks everyone for all the input, i think i am going keep an eye on the blended set up i have on the 34 and see how the corals respond before I decide which way to go. I do like the slim look of the t5's and the numerous bulb choices, but don't know if I want to give up the shimmer put off by the halides. (the heat I can deal with, fans do work wonders) I was looking at the Ice cap ballasts last night after the earlier posts from dawgdude and understand overdriving the HO T5's.

I think I need to find some tanks to visit that are 100% t5 driven.

wow....I'm still confused myself...

I'm currently working on setting up a 95 gallon reef (though it'll be months before it's up and running properly) and when I look pricing of the MH, I almost die. I keep going back to a 8 bulb T5 setup. Almost half the price as a decent MH setup. And I don't have a canopy to hide a DIY MH setup.

Good thing is that I have still have more than enough time to figure out the best route to go....

Oil_Fan;389087 wrote: wow....I'm still confused myself...

I'm currently working on setting up a 95 gallon reef (though it'll be months before it's up and running properly) and when I look pricing of the MH, I almost die. I keep going back to a 8 bulb T5 setup. Almost half the price as a decent MH setup. And I don't have a canopy to hide a DIY MH setup.

Good thing is that I have still have more than enough time to figure out the best route to go....

As dawgdude educated me last night, only half the price if you are NOT looking at ATI or Geissman fixtures. They are sweet.

Back