t5 vs. the sun?

jamescook

Market
Reaction score
I'm really happy with my solartube above my mangrove tank, and it's leading me to wonder if i can add tubes down to the main tank. I can see the sunlight ripples on the sand 6 feet away from the ceiling. if i were to run the next tube all the way to the tank, i bet that would be a bunch of natural light. but would it be enough????
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
206699=12449-roof3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
206699=12449-roof3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="roof3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

so i could get enough lumens to grow, but the color would be off. so i'll still have to add the t5's. the thought of not having a light bill is tempting

Your par will be phenomenal with natural lighting! I'd do it in a heartbeat..you can't beat the real thing.

that's what i'm thinking. and one less thing to plug in and worry about with a power failure. do you think i'll need a bunch of blue bulbs too? just to get the reef look

You'll need some blue, but I would say a bunch. You should get phenomenal growth and with the supplemental lighting, great colouration.

I was thinking about 14in tubes, but maybe i should stick with the 10in to leave room inside a canopy for the actinics. the tank is 18in deep and i guess the canopy has to sit on the edge. maybe 2 3ft bulbs across the back would be enough?

Back