Tang is gone, here comes hair algae!

texhorns98

Market
Reaction score
Since I lost my tang about a week ago, I'm starting to see a little hair algae. At least I THINK it's hair algae, but it's not long enough to tell just yet. Nor is it long enough to pull off. Anything else out there besides tangs that can help control this? I'm not sure WHY I'm getting it since I only use 0-1 ppm RODI water, don't run an excessive light cycle, and "supposedly" have 0 phosphates. I say "supposedly" because it's coming off an API test kit and I'm not sure it's all that accurate at this point.

Love the foxfaces.

API= All Purpose Inaccurate?

If you really want to test for phosphates in the range that you need for a reef then you need the merck kit or a photometer.

I've always wanted a foxface, actually. Is a 120 big enough to house one? Are they ich prone like tangs?

All Purpose Inaccurate...nice. I've actually confirmed my API results with Salifert tests several times. They're "OK", except the phosphate, which as you said is tough to measure with standard hobbyist equipment.

I have a magnificent foxface in my 125. It is now about twice the size it started out over about 8 months. I have never had a fish showing signs of ick. I get most of my fish from the Diver's Den though.

Back