Tang- new white spot on mouth

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
This morning my tang has a white spot on the side of her mouth, it wasn't there yesterday.
I'm thinking it's an injury, maybe from pulling on Nori?
Spots on Tangs always scare me, of course!
Any advise appreciated!

DAEEBFB2-D70A-4B81-B1A4-DDB91F611F7E_zps74sr1a12.jpg
alt="" />

Anyone?
It's eating and acting normal. Prams and other live stock is good. It's my only Tang, no triggers etc. All other fish are peaceful. It's been in my DT for about 3 weeks and in my QT for 3 weeks. This is a new spot, it wasn't there yesterday.

Jen, whatcha think?

Cam, I'll offer my 2 cents, not that's worth that much.

I'd probably go with an injury by what you've posted so far. Many Tangs are grazers and injury is common as they pick at live rock, also they can be skittish (at lest mine is around the 5 year old for some reason- can you say Darla ;-).

To me
-Looks to large for marine ick
-Brooklynella typically happens fast, you would probaly see some big changes by now- are there any open lesions.
- Probably not marine velvet, doesn't seem to be affecting the gills.

hope someone with a bit more experience then me chimes in.

I'd have to agree with Ben's assessment. I too am paranoid when it comes to tangs but I don't think you've got anything there to worry about. Feed medicated foods just to be sure.

The mark could also be a sting from one of the corals or an anemone. I have a Regal that has scars all over his face from digging under rocks, tangs are unual fish!:D:fish:

What does it look like? Describe the spot (or take a better pic!!!)

Getting a better pic proved to be a task! Usually it's a camera hog but jeez....
As you can see there are no other spots and it's still eating and looking fine. I'm not as worried but it hasnt seemed to have got any better either. Isn't it weird that it is Florescent?
1ad4b8a909cff9751fcf9794a5b36759_zpsd2e0f93f.jpg
alt="" />
289848ced4a872e1f63d87073a129499_zps464ed904.jpg
alt="" />
Thanks for the replies guys. It's my first tang, I'm in love with this fish!

I'd go with injury too. Beautiful fish!

I need a bigger tank so I can get a tang...

Thanks, it's looking a little better today!

I do love this fish! It eats from my hand (as most all my fish do) :)

That first pic it looks like a Scopas.

My first impression based on that photo, is Lymphocystis. Viral, harmless unless it impedes his ability to eat. Brought on by stress and it will go away on its own when the stress goes away.

Subsequent photos neither reinforce nor refute my notion. It could also be an injury, hard to tell.

Does it look like a pimple? (Whitehead...) If so then it's Lymphocysitis.

If it's not - as long as it looks clean and not red/infected, it will probably heal up on its own. Just feed him up well and he'll be fine :)

Jenn

Jen,
No it doesn't look like a white head and it's healing well.

It attacks the Nori Clip like it's alive! It would be understandable if it got hurt eating it....
I give it Nori (1/2 sheet) twice a day but it still acts like its a MAJOR treat :)

Back