Tang Question

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
So I got this really sweet Regal tang. I have had a couple of tangs before, but they did not survive my first "noob" crash. I like tangs! I want more tangs. But I have heard the may not mix well in pairs and best to get three. Any truth to that? I only have a 75 and know tanks eventully require a larger tank. Do I have enough room for 3 tangs. I wanted to get like a small Yellow Tang and one other.

My current stock list.
Regal
Yellow Watchman Goby
Big Tomato Clown
<u>Dam</u>sel

I also want a wrasse, and a chromis, and a cardinal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dont think I would go more than one tang in that tank. You will be <u>pushing</u> it with just the one.

camg;186745 wrote: Dont think I would go more than one tang in that tank. You will be <u>pushing</u> it with just the one.

Pushing it with just one tang?

What do you mean?

Are you anti-tang?

I really love tangs and want one for my 75, but tangs really need room to swim and some are very territorial.

Tangs are known for dropping bombs in tanks.. They make up a lot of bioload regal/hippos get rather large and need lots of room to swim.. It will outgrow a 75.. Being messy poopers will take a toll on water quality. 2 would be a sure way to bad water params

dawgdude;186819 said:
With your skimmer, you should be just fine with a yellow in addition to the hippo. Swimming room aside, a 4 foot tank should be enough swimming room for small ones for atleast a year or two.

That was my though as well. I think I can skim any load I put in this tank.
But what about the theory of 2 tangs being a problem and will fight for dominance and 3 tangs being ok?

So far so good on the Tomato. He has not shown any aggression to the other fish. Now he has an anenome to play with. I havent seen him since.

Cant catch the damsel...suggestions?

One tang in a 75g tank is pushing it. Three is out of the question. Everyone says they'll move the tang to a bigger tank down the road... unless you're currently filling your new 300g tank as we speak, then please don't subject the fish to inhumane treatment for any period of time.

i have 3 tangs a regal,purple and a yellow they do fine togeather but i have a bigger tank. feed them romane lettuce they really like to eat that.

Ok...thanks guys.
Sounds like I need to consider other tankmates. My concerns about multiple tangs have been confirmed. I hope to upgrade one of these days...but not yet. I need to master this hobby first!

My original plan include a mated pair of perc's and a nem. So much for that! I inherited this Tomato. Thats what I get for being a nice guy. But you are right Dawg...Tom has to go before I add any more stock. He should not be hard to find a home for.

Thank again!

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Allow me to ask a question in this thread (I am not trying to hijack this tread). What kind of fish you recommend for a 75 GL (reef safe)? </span></span>

dawgdude;187686 wrote: Nah, I dont think Chris will mind the highjack.

For the most part in a 75g you can do anything you want except tangs, non pygmy angels and triggers. If you want to really fill up a 75 with color, I would get a variety of gobies, flasher wrasses, a few pygmy angels and your typical gramma, clowns etc.
What about anthias. I would like to have at least four of those (one male and three females). What kind of anthias will do better in a 75GL.
Thanks for your input

Back