Tank drilling

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
I think I may take advantage of Petco’s $1/gallon sale ang get a 29 gallon. I’ll make that my FO QT after I move my clowns into the DT. I am currently using a 40g Breeder that I’m almost certain is drillable and make that my FOWLR tank. I know it’s not that big but I don’t have that much space, or money for that matter!

How hard is it to drill a tank?

Super easy. Just drilled my 120 yesterday. Bought the diamond coated hole saw off amazon and used a jig from harbor freight to hold everything straight. Took less than 10 minutes for all 3 holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not difficult. I've drilled many tanks. The thicker glass is much easier. ten gallon tanks are a real PITA! Just get yourself a good new diamond hole cutter, go slowly, and maintain steady pressure. You should be good.

I use plumber’s putty and roll it out long enough to form a ring around the drill bit with some space. Then fill the inside of the putty ring with water for cooling & lubrication. Top off with water when/if needed. Apply steady pressure but don’t try to force it. Glass does not like to bend! Just remember that. There might be a YouTube video, if interested in seeing it first.

Back