Tank front glass support?

RonS

Reaction score
Happy thanksgiving, all! (I’m so proud of myself for not saying “tanksgiving” ;)

I have a Max Nano where, by design, the front glass of the tank overhangs the front edge of the cabinet - only the bottom of the tank is supported.

The stand I’m building for the new tank is meant to mimic the aesthetic of the Red Sea cabinets, and I’d like to replicate that overhang as well.

Does anyone know if the overhang is used on their larger Reefer systems?

Any opinions as to whether this is specific to Red Sea’s tank construction? The primary force on the front of the tank should be out, not down... but that does add the burden of supporting the weight of the glass panel on the silicone joints.

My instinct says this is OK, but I wanted a few more opinions before I commit to that route and start drilling holes in my cabinet top

Thanks all, and enjoy your day!!

—Ron

Happy thanksgiving!

Photo please? Because from your description, that sounds like a big no-no, even for the Red Sea Nano. Generally, the entirety of your tank should be supported, this is especially true for the corners. There should be no part that overhangs the cabinetry.

Is this what you are talking about, looks to be an out 1/2“ of overhang. It looks like they did this to keep the front of the tank flush with the door. And a smaller tank I really don’t think that’s a problem. Understand your building will it be the same way meaning you need the overhang for that front door? If so I don’t see any problem with what you’re planning. Looks like the max nano does not have the corners supported like in the picture provided by civics14.

A394F1C7-1969-42BD-998D-7B4589E926BA.jpeg

Ah, yes. I agree! I was imagining this tank on a custom cabinetry, overhanging by many inches. On a small tank and with a small overhang, while not ideal, but is less of an issue.

This issue at hand, as you pointed out, is the downward force. you want to minimize unbalanced forces, which will add stress to the glass and risk the formation of cracks.

So your question: are [unsupported overhangs] used on larger systems? Generally, no. This is increased risk for the company and user. Perhaps you wish for the cabinetry to come up flush with the bottom of the tank. A potential solution is that you can use a stronger material such as steel, which would allow you to go thinner for the same support. Even a thick sheet steel under the glass would be able to redirect much of the force inwards towards the frame. I guess the follow up question is what size tank, and how much of an overhang are you desiring?

*but if anybody has better knowledge, please correct me.

Last edited:
the glass is still supported on the corners even with the overhang.

Perfect!!

The tank is 36" long. The proposed overhang (cantilever?) would only be the thickness of the front glass (~5/16"), similar to what you are showing here. My stand will also mimic the Red Sea in that it will have 6" decorative panels on either side of the doors - I never even thought about the fact that the ends of the panel would be sitting on solid wood!!! (the Nano is all door on the front).

This is a perfect compromise, and make me feel a LOT more confident. Thank you all for your input!!!

--Ron

Back