Tank looking pretty good, I actually took pics

kwl1763;165749 wrote: Actually there is quite a few fish in there they just hide

6 lyretail anthias
2 mated neon gobies
2 mated true percs
2 blue throated triggers
1 magnificent foxface
1 regal angel
1 flame angel
1 powder blue tang
1 sailfin tang
1 copperband butterfly
1 scotts wrasse
1 spotted mandarin

I'll add a few more once I get the sailfin out.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'll answer some more questions tonight. This work thing gets in the way to much!

Pssst! I spit on your fish list. I wanna see some bioload!! Especially if you're gonna lose the sailfin. BTW, did you ever get a trap?

chrisjet;165633 wrote: looks great, in your build thread on RC there is a pic of a fish with red spiky fins? It looks like a rabbit fish but I am not sure?

Ya that's a magnificent foxface, awesome fish

jade76;165651 wrote: looking nice bro.!!! what rated bulbs are you using?

10k XMs 250W SE w/VHO Actinics Also 2 250W DE 14k phoenix in between the XMs

sagent3000;165693 wrote: i saw in the pics that there were small holes in the pvc piping.

is there a water pump in connected to those pipes? and do you send water through those pipes to keep detritus off the rocks?

Nope the holes serve 2 purposes. The main is so I could ziptie the rocks to them (I drilled the rocks also). Also it allows enough water through there that it doesn't get stagnent in the pipes. I have so much flow in there there is very little detritus that settles on the rocks. The waveboxes help that a ton.

jmaneyapanda;165801 wrote: Pssst! I spit on your fish list. I wanna see some bioload!! Especially if you're gonna lose the sailfin. BTW, did you ever get a trap?

:) Ya Ya, I eventually will I'm just pretty picky also with my fish. I might have to actually hook up a remote DSB also as I have very little rock and no sand so I am a bit limited in dentrification ability. I have't got a trap yet. I'l probably just wait until next meeting as I'm to lazy to drive to meet someone :)

BTW, I love the tunze atthe bottom rather than the top, and the penductors. You must get some lovely flow.

Put some sand in that thing.

Jeremy that's the whole point, without sand i can get all that lovely flow! 6 tunze 6100s, 2 waveboxs and a return with 2 penductors would be hell on a sandbed! If I ever do anything I would do a remote sandbed in the sump.

Sagent there is about 250-300lbs of live rock in there and maybe another 50 or so in the sump. Which sounds like a lot but not when thes system is as big as it is. It's less then 1/2 lb per gallon of total system.

kwl1763;166748 wrote: Jeremy that's the whole point, without sand i can get all that lovely flow! 6 tunze 6100s, 2 waveboxs and a return with 2 penductors would be hell on a sandbed! If I ever do anything I would do a remote sandbed in the sump.

Oh yeah, I'll send an email to mother nature about this.:yes:

I hope you can feel my sarcasm, because, boy is it thick. One more target in my anti-BB tirade.

Monther nature doesn't care about looks though and is fine if sand is piled a foot thick in one place and bare in another! Plus mother nature has a way of providing nice flow in an extremly wide way that unfortunately we have to attempt to simulate with powerheads that while much better then they used to be still send out a pretty concentrated flow. Mother nature also has doxens of feet tall rock piles that are the base of the reef with the sand many many feet below the corals. That what I'm perfectly replicating! A reef top.

Plenty of remote to the reef sandbed in the ocean. No denying that one.

You of all people should know that recreating a true whole reef environment in our size tanks is a ludicrous concept anyway. We don't have near the scale we need to do that. I'm trying to create a very narrow slice that is the top of a reef crest with high light high flow corals, these don't have sand in them it's many many many feet below.

kwl1763;166792 wrote: Monther nature doesn't care about looks though and is fine if sand is piled a foot thick in one place and bare in another! Plus mother nature has a way of providing nice flow in an extremly wide way that unfortunately we have to attempt to simulate with powerheads that while much better then they used to be still send out a pretty concentrated flow. Mother nature also has doxens of feet tall rock piles that are the base of the reef with the sand many many feet below the corals. That what I'm perfectly replicating! A reef top.

Plenty of remote to the reef sandbed in the ocean. No denying that one.

You of all people should know that recreating a true whole reef environment in our size tanks is a ludicrous concept anyway. We don't have near the scale we need to do that. I'm trying to create a very narrow slice that is the top of a reef crest with high light high flow corals, these don't have sand in them it's many many many feet below.

Keith- dont take me too seriously. I'm 99.9% full of sheeyot (50% of the time). ??? I just wanted to goof a little.

But....if we're gonna talk serious, you are right, it is foolish to try to recreate nature in our tank. But we do our best. That is why we strive to make our tanks look like a natural reef- it is the model we are basing our efforts off of. I think people way misrepresent the importance of a sandbed in general. Not only the denitrification benefits, but also the addition of micro and nano life to the system. In my opinion, these would far outweigh the small percentage in increase in flow that would be present in leiu of a sandbed. Put your tunzes at the top, and Im sure even with the waveboxes and penductors, on a 10 foot tank, you'd be fine. Hut I dont know that for a fact, Im speculating.

I'll just hold my hand up acroos the bottom of your photos to prevent my gag reflex!:tongue:

jmaneyapanda;166853 wrote:
I'll just hold my hand up acroos the bottom of your photos to prevent my gag reflex!:tongue:

So crazy. Ya I think a remote sandbed addresses all your issues though. And probably even in a better way because there are no fish eating all that life! Now the looks that's just something that your wrong on :) And yes I realize we're just BSing back and forth, there is no right or wrong here!

kwl1763;167583 wrote: So crazy. Ya I think a remote sandbed addresses all your issues though. And probably even in a better way because there are no fish eating all that life! Now the looks that's just something that your wrong on :) And yes I realize we're just BSing back and forth, there is no right or wrong here!
Whoa whoa whoa. Who said anything about me being wrong!!!:)

I obviously envy your tank, so any objections I have are mild. But put some sand in that tank!

Back