Tank question

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
We just acquired a 2nd tank for QT. Our existing tank is 13g, the new one is a 40g breeder. Since we already have the clowns in the 13g I was thinking to start up the 40g as a frag/invert QT but my husband thinks the fish should be transferred to the 49g and we should set up the 13 for frags/ inverts since they don't need swimming space. Thoughts? Also, will I stress out my clowns if I move them to another new tank? How do I do it? Just put their existing tank water into the new tank and add fresh saltwater to fill it?

Clowns will be fine to finish QT in the 13. Moving forward, I would suggest the 40B for fish QT especially if you are getting any active fish. the 13 can be a frag tang/frag QT if you want at that point. Although, if you have used copper in it you might have trouble with inverts later on.

Clowns will be fine to finish QT in the 13. Moving forward, I would suggest the 40B for fish QT especially if you are getting any active fish. the 13 can be a frag tang/frag QT if you want at that point. Although, if you have used copper in it you might have trouble with inverts later on.
Nope, didnt use copper for these guys. Thanks

I may be the lone dissenter: depends on the fish you want to keep. A 13g is fine for small fish QT, and it's way easier to dose and control if you're treating copper or other meds. Also easier and cheaper to do water changes.

Tangs would be the only thing I think you'd want that would benefit from the 40g, but you can deal with that later... if you're committed to doing this "right" then you won't want tangs for a while.

I may be the lone dissenter: depends on the fish you want to keep. A 13g is fine for small fish QT, and it's way easier to dose and control if you're treating copper or other meds. Also easier and cheaper to do water changes.

Tangs would be the only thing I think you'd want that would benefit from the 40g, but you can deal with that later... if you're committed to doing this "right" then you won't want tangs for a while.
Why don’t I want tangs for a while? Are they difficult?

Few reasons, entirely opinion on my experience though:

1. They seem to be most susceptible to disease. Learn to QT the hardier, more docile fish first.
2. Established tank = algae. Mine always stopped grazing once I overfed them. Lazy fish even though they were added with a function in mind. Except Kole Tang. He's cool.
3. They mean ol bullies to everyone added after them. Add em last then they are less territorial.

Few reasons, entirely opinion on my experience though:

1. They seem to be most susceptible to disease. Learn to QT the hardier, more docile fish first.
2. Established tank = algae. Mine always stopped grazing once I overfed them. Lazy fish even though they were added with a function in mind. Except Kole Tang. He's cool.
3. They mean ol bullies to everyone added after them. Add em last then they are less territorial.
A lot of this. Especially number 3. Tangs are super territorial.

Our tangs each have their chosen sleeping spot at night- kinda cute that everyone has a reef bed :) but ours get along with everyone for the most part. For tanks under 180, kole tangs are usually hard workers and good tank mates.

Lemme ask on more question . I have bought some used pumps and heaters and stuff like that. If they are completely dry and haven't been in use for a while they should be disease free, right?

I'll add my 2 cents here!!! I agree with about the tangs. I've been working on my build as far as research, planning, and executing for one year now. From everything ive read and researched tangs go last mainly because they are territorial and can be bullies. If your anything like me you didn't want to hear this! Im up to 6 fish now and plan to add about 20-30, which is good and bad because thats how long I have to wait before I can get my tangs! Sio hopefully I'll have mine by the end of the year!!! Patience really is key here, it takes so much time and dedication. Good luck and I look forward to watching your build.

I guess it depends on what tangs. First 3 fish I put in my tank was 3 yellow tangs. They aren't difficult, just make sure you use proper QT procedures with them.

Lemme ask on more question . I have bought some used pumps and heaters and stuff like that. If they are completely dry and haven't been in use for a while they should be disease free, right?

Considering Tank Transfer Method (TTM) relies on dried equipment, I would say yes that if it is dry, it is disease free.

I'll add my 2 cents here!!! I agree with about the tangs. I've been working on my build as far as research, planning, and executing for one year now. From everything ive read and researched tangs go last mainly because they are territorial and can be bullies. If your anything like me you didn't want to hear this! Im up to 6 fish now and plan to add about 20-30, which is good and bad because thats how long I have to wait before I can get my tangs! Sio hopefully I'll have mine by the end of the year!!! Patience really is key here, it takes so much time and dedication. Good luck and I look forward to watching your build.
Nope! This is exactly what I want to hear. I too have been researching and, though I love their beauty, am slightly gun shy about tangs. I was thinking of getting the ones that @Cook has for sale but will let someone with a more established system have them. It is a slow process to do it right. Thanks!

So a question to everyone... Would you still quarantine fish that have been in an established system for months or even years? I ask this bc I bought a tang from another member that had him in his tank for like 6 months I think. I put him directly into my display. He has been great. Healthy and eating everything I put in the tank.

So a question to everyone... Would you still quarantine fish that have been in an established system for months or even years? I ask this bc I bought a tang from another member that had him in his tank for like 6 months I think. I put him directly into my display. He has been great. Healthy and eating everything I put in the tank.

Torn on that one. If it’s an established member here, probably not. For example, I didn’t dip any of the frags Jin gave me, but we’re also talking 5 mins away.

Though, I’m fairly confident I’m ich-free now, so... hmm. I guess it depends on what my risk tolerance is that certain day!

Why am I too stupid to figure out how this thing works? It came without instructions, purchased on Amazon

Attachments

• 20200213_102927.jpg
    20200213_102927.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Back