Tank repair

seand

Market
Reaction score
I have a 180 gallon tank that needs the bottom replaced .  I’m not sure how but I have a crack from the bulkhead fitting to the front of the tank.  I’m looking for someone to disassemble clean all the old silicone  use a new piece of glass for the bottom reassemble and seal. So in short build a glass aquarium with mostly older pieces. If needed I’m even willing to disassemble and clean the glass. Do we have any members that build glass tanks? I realize a lot will say why not buy new but the current glass is starfire so not so cheap to replace. Any recommendations on someone to do this will be greatly appreciated.

Oh crap.  That sucks Sean.  That's an awesome display tank. :(  Sorry I don't know anyone but if there's anything I can do to help plz let me know.

The disassembly is not as easy as it sounds. Just cleaning the spread seal inside the tank is a pita. Separating the joints is where the real work comes in and has to be done carefully. Another solution might be to drill out the crack then silicone a piece of glass over the hole. I glued a piece of glass over the bottom bulkhead holes on the 120 I'm using for a sump.

It’s cracked from the bulkhead to the front on the tank. I would have to cover the whole bottom.

The main thing on taking the tank apart is taking your time . If you look at my build thread I just took mine apart and about to rebuild it . It just takes time and patience. Also if needed I know a guy that give good prices in glass . I just order my new piece from him .

Casper, are you putting your tank back together? I’m not afraid of the work at all but the thought of the liability scares me. Hahahahaha I’m definitely not in the glass sealing business.

Yea my new front glass will be here Thursday . All you have to do is makes sure you clean the old glass good and get the right silicone. Not the stuff from Home Depot or Lowe’s . Get the good construction silicone like rtv or asi . I have done this many times and it does seems a little bit overwhelming at first but it’s not that bad .

Back