Tank very milky the past 2 weeks. Bacterial bloom and not sure why

Tanster2

Market
Reaction score
I’ve had my little 10 gallon set up for about two months. Cycled it with filter media from my main display and added a little Fritz 9. All parameters are good. Phosphates and nitrates hardly detectable. Only thing off about this tank is that is sits at about 80-82F, which I am working on.

My only corals are some pavona, chalice, and zoas. All of them seem very happy and I’ve been seeing growth. My graciliara is growing unusually fast in this tank, which tells me I might have some nitrate or phosphate leech. Otherwise I can’t explain why I’m experiencing this bacterial bloom. This little tank is very healthy with a large pod population. Other than about 10 dwarf ceriths, there are no other animals in the tank.

live rock is mostly Marco rock and dried pukani. Maybe the pukani is leeching nutrients in?

Never experienced a milky tank before. Anyone got any advice? I do weekly water changes, and the past two weeks I’ve done about 70% water changes. Water gets milky again within an hour.

Attachments

• 7F321D8F-D84F-454F-88AE-E8E55E3BB3B6.jpeg
    7F321D8F-D84F-454F-88AE-E8E55E3BB3B6.jpeg
    471.1 KB · Views: 16
my tank is just getting over a bacteria bloom and the only thing that helped was a uv light i put in three days ago,mine was so bad that i could barely see anything in the tank..this has been my first bacteria bloom since i started reef keeping,hope that helps

my tank is just getting over a bacteria bloom and the only thing that helped was a uv light i put in three days ago,mine was so bad that i could barely see anything in the tank..this has been my first bacteria bloom since i started reef keeping,hope that helps
That’s exactly how mine is. I can’t see anything in the tank whatsoever. Never really used a UV sterilizer but if that’s what it takes then so be it

Looks exactly like mine does. That’s a huge improvement. Which UV did you use?

I'll have to look at other options. This is a NUVO 10, and my chambers are already full to the brim with mods lol

Anything organic being used in the house? My wife likes to diffuse essential oils, they can definitely kick in a nice bacterial bloom (yes, speaking from experience). Glade plug ins or sprays can too.

Anything organic being used in the house? My wife likes to diffuse essential oils, they can definitely kick in a nice bacterial bloom (yes, speaking from experience). Glade plug ins or sprays can too.
Lots of cleaning daily in my house sprays and all

i tell my wife not to spray anything and she says she doesn't spray it close to the tank lol :rolleyes:

Both of my tanks are in the same room, yet only one is milky. So I'm gonna rule out any airborne contaminants lol. Good thinking though, I never would've thought

For little tanks, you can throw in a green machine small UV and run it to kill off bacterial blooms or green tanks etc. no plumbing required and it goes on display portion- run it temporarily until issue is resolved.

For little tanks, you can throw in a green machine small UV and run it to kill off bacterial blooms or green tanks etc. no plumbing required and it goes on display portion- run it temporarily until issue is resolved.
I'll look into one. I hope this won't be a reoccurring problem. Tank water is definitely gaining a greenish tinge to it. Coral still seems content to my surprise.

I'll look into one. I hope this won't be a reoccurring problem. Tank water is definitely gaining a greenish tinge to it. Coral still seems content to my surprise.
i posted a picture of what my tank looks like today in member tanks after running the uv since tuesday i believe

Agreed. When I was in a pinch, I picked up a green killing machine at Petco, paid for it online and picked it up in store a few hours later. I called and had them match Amazon’s price prior to placing the order.

Back