Tell me the height of your stand

What is the height of your stand?

• Total voters

mphammer

Market
Reaction score
Poll on height of stand.
Also, leave comments for reasoning behind stand height.
My 90 gallon had a 32" stand and it was such a pita to work under the tank and mess with sump. So on my new build, my stand is 42". Want to be sure this is not too tall or there isn't something I am missing.

The reason for my current stand height is because it came with my tank, which I got for a good deal.

However, if the question was “what is my desired stand height?”, it will be 42” high on my next tank.

I want my next tank to be at viewing level for me and others. This is a slight challenge as I am 6’ (72”) tall and my wife is 4’11” (59”). Still, one of the primary reasons we have aquariums is for their aesthetic appeal. It’ll be a 30” tall tank (300-600g), on a 42” stand... which will put the water level at ~70”.

I also have planned a wooden platform for family/guests to step-up on, not only allowing people to get a new perspective, but also for kids that want to watch the tank.

The counter argument why people don’t like high tanks (not to be confused with tall tanks), is for maintenance. They don’t want to have to use a ladder/step-stool to get into their tank.

I managed an LFS for a while, and it doesn’t bother me to quickly grab a step stool and hop on up. (Plus I rarely put my hand into my tank.) I’m only bothered if I need to grab the 6’ or 8’ ladder, basically if its so high up that I need one to feed the fish

My stand is 31” with additional support of 1” then tank itself has 1” plywood and 2” glass on the bottom. All together 35” I like the height it’s currently at, great view. But if you want to put your hand in it, it’s about 66” height. Using small ladder to get up there.

Once a tank is past a certain size you're going to have to have a stool, so I think stand height is more subjective at that point. I prefer to get into my tank when I need to without one, but my largest tank is 90 gallons. So, it depends on several factors for me. 1) Preference 2) The overall size and height of the tank itself. 3) How much room you have to work with ceiling height wise and whether it's with or without a canopy. 5) Viewing: Seated / standing? Both?

I'm 5' 7" and my tanks are all on 32-33" stands. My 90 gallon is 20" in height. Too much more for me and I would want a stool to get to the bottom. For larger tanks there isn't a choice on that.

Ryan’s new 360 tank on BRS has these pull out platform ladder things on all three sides. Such a good idea, but probably super expensive.

Back