Texas aquarium accidentally kills nearly all fish in its biggest indoor tanks

Good to know that it was figured out. What's confusing is in the original article, they indicated that Texas had tested the chemical on smaller tanks without ill affects. Just strange.

Yea it is a little odd. But if they tested the smaller tanks they didn't need as much and may have even procured it locally. When they treated the big tanks they probably needed gallons.

Update...

Looks like the Aquarium was about to get some money from the chemical company that majorly screwed up the labeling on the chemical they used to treat the parasite...

a>

aXio;1099298 wrote: Update...

Looks like the Aquarium was about to get some money from the chemical company that majorly screwed up the labeling on the chemical they used to treat the parasite...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/texas-aquarium-wins-1-million-lawsuit-against-chemical-company">http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/texas-aquarium-wins-1-million-lawsuit-against-chemical-company</a>[/QUOTE]

****nnnnnn. that's wild!

"Summit Environmental Technologies, Inc. Analytical Laboratories [sic] confirmed that the medicine, which was shipped in a container labeled trichlorfon, was actually hydroquinone. Trichlorfon is a pharmaceutical that is used to treat fish parasites. Hydroquinone is an industrial chemical used in film processing and as a stabilizer for paint and motor fuels."

At this point I'm just wondering how many of the companies that we use, at hobbyist level, use the same technique of just rebranding names and use out of the sea chemicals, and that wouldn't be my biggest concern, it's just the feel that I'm using exactly what it's labeled for. Many different brands will always be in different sales with the same sample of water and I believe that the only way to make sure you are close to a dead point in readings (without that expensive triton) it's by comparing results with two, even three brand testing vials.
Just mentioned because not long ago Hanna recalled many different vial small packets, not sure if that was just for shelf life chemicals

Back