Thank you everybody!!!

dave green

Market
Reaction score
I just got back from the meeting and got the corals and the new anemone into the tank. I'm still not sure what kind of anemone I got, but it's pretty and making itself at home.

How long do I need to plan on keeping the finger coral rubber banded to the live rock?

it is a rose bubble tip and please dont kill it it was raised by one of our members ....its not that hard to keep but you need good light and good flow ...you also have to feed it a little every 3-4 days .....if you cant care for it i suggest giving it to someone who can care for it......plealse dont take offence to my comment but i remember you killed quite a bit of stuff here already ........best of luck to you
victor

I think what Victor is trying to say is, that Rose bubble tip anemone's (RBTA) are not super common and therefor command a hefty price tag. However, Anemones are IMO hardy, as long as you (like Victor said) have good strong light, good flow, and feed it. I used to fed mine Mysis shrimp pretty much when ever I fed the fish. If you have a host (clowns that are hosting in it) they will do a lot for the upkeep of it, but it is not necessary. Anemone's can also be kind of messy, so I hope you have a good skimmer, they basically turn themselves inside out to expel their waist and depending on the size this can be quite a bit of waist. What size is it? How about posting a picture.

If you don't think you can handle it, or your afraid of killing such a nice anemone, I'm sure that someone here would gladly trade you a Green Bubble Tip Anemone (GBTA) for the Rose. They are cared for exactly the same, however, they are more common and (I know I will get flack for saying this) if it dies it's not a huge loss... Please don't take offense to anything we are saying here, I for one am trying to help. The more success you have keeping livestock and corals the more likely you will be to stay in the hobby. So please ask questions, that's what the club is here for...

Oh, one more note, generally speaking, if the anemone moves around a lot he is not happy. Usually when they are happy they will plant themselves somewhere and that's it. FYI

Now how about those pictures??? :D

Right now things are looking really good in there... the rose tip seems to be making itself right at home (scooting back and forth between two spots about an inch or two apart).

I expect some ribbing as I move up into some higher quality animals, given that there have been some outright disasters in the past... one due to a bad decision I made and one because it was a brand new tank, and some just from good old fashioned bad luck...

Heck... my bag of corals exploded at the meeting last night!

I don't expect the Spanish Inquisition, but there's gotta be some skepticism.

One reality I had to face is that I'm simply not around the tanks to be as attentive as I want to be, so Mike at Saltwater City is maintaining the tank (and teaching me how to keep things rolling in between trips).... and I *know* I'm in good hands there! (thanks for the suggestion, Ralph!)

Three months... no deaths... and everything is looking better (except for a couple frogspawn heads hurt in transit).

Now I have one last major challenge... (Thiago, maybe you can help me with this one...) My wife thinks it's terrible that I don't feed the guys as often as she thinks they need to be fed... and I don't know how to explain the Nitrate cycle to her in Portuguese! D'OH!

All kidding aside, though.... I'm pretty excited about this next step. My 55gal is turning into a real reef tank and I've just about finished cycling a 75gal which is going to be fish only.

Now if I can figure out how to get this blackberry to take this better pictures!

Sounds like your heading in the right direction. Getting help is always a good idea, it just seems like some people can be to proud or pig headed to ask, so I really commend you for taking that step. Stay with it, this hobby doesn't get any easier, you just get to a point where you know what to do before something happens, and if something does happen you know how to fix it.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out...

Now I have one last recommendation. Go out and buy a "real" digital camera so that you can share pictures!!! :D

Happy reefing

Back