the alternative to expensive coral food.

ouling

Market
Reaction score
Besides making your own in the blender, i actually buy the fish eggs in the asian supermarket and feed it to them. They eat it like crazy, and it's almost the same size as cyclopeeze. Try it out yourself.

Can you give me a description of what these are / look like? I would like to pick some up. Thanks.

i can give you a picture later, i just ran out. Its the little orange eggs thats on your sushi.

Hmmm. That's an interesting idea. The little eggs are going to either be tobiko or masago. The former are flying fish eggs and the latter are smelt eggs. Both are orange and the masago are cheaper and smaller although tobiko have a better flavor imo. The green masago is flavored with wasabi, which will give it a little click that the corals will surely enjoy. Hmmm it might be good for the fish too... if garlic and ginger can fight ich, why not wasabi? Not sure about preservatives... mine doesn't have any listed, but these asian labels aren't always very accurate.

Most of them have soy sauce in them, but you can sometimes find unseasoned masago. Hard to come by, however.

Asian grocers are great places for fresh food period. Don't stop at the seafood section. The one on Spring Road in Smyrna just outside the perimeter has fantastic produce as well.

Yah I like that one quite a bit. Can't beat their prices on certain cuts of meat either.

I found the joys of the Farmers Market around the corner from my shop yesterday. I bought a new pet crab too. Now I have a huge Blue crab living in a tank....his name is Crabby and he will soon be as popular as Larry the Lobster!
Great deals on Nori, smelt and steak

FishyBusiness;39670 wrote: I found the joys of the Farmers Market around the corner from my shop yesterday. I bought a new pet crab too. Now I have a huge Blue crab living in a tank....his name is Crabby and he will soon be as popular as Larry the Lobster!
Great deals on Nori, smelt and steak

you know your addicted to reefing when..... lol

Not as cheap as I am sure a lot of guys here are using, but I feed my corals weekly with a blend of reef chili ($20), cyclopeeze ($8) and selcon ($9) which will feed my corals on my feeding schedule for 6 months. That puts a feeding at almost $1 per and storage is very easy.

Woot, I think I just put your rep into 3 bars, Cameron.

While trying to save the coral I have, I've been following Leroy's advice from G.A.R.F. and mixing a few mL of SeaChem ReefPlus with just a pinch of powdered flake food and a few drops of DT's. and then target feeding. I sometimes add a few drops of Kent MicroVert to the mix, and I use this same recipe with the addition of mysis or krill to feed my anemone.

I do dose ReefPlus, Marine Snow and DTs Phyto once a week as well. I was telling Big D today that I just nuke the tank for about 4 hours every weekend with the above setup. I turn off the return pump so the mixture blows around in my tank for hours. It keeps me in diatoms, but with my conchs running around my sand is pretty clean. I do have a lot of glass cleaning, but small price to pay for happy corals. Fish also get a nice taste of cyclopeeze as well.

Yeah, I also turn my return sump off whenever I feed anything, actually, but usually only for an hour or so.

I don't when feeding fish which I do daily, but I like the water nice and murky during coral/clam feeding for a long time. I give those corals a nice long chance to eat.

All of my current fish are herbivores or grazers (minus the mandarin) and I find that if I have the sump or any more than one powerhead on, the food gets too scattered about the tank and doesn't have much of a chance to get eaten right away by the things i want to eat it. I don't really feed very often, as there is already plenty in the tank for most all of them to eat, but I do like to make sure that the guys who want some of that krill or mysis get a chance to have some, and I thought I was on the right track by turning off the sump when feeding the corals, giving them a better chance to eat before the mechanical filters cleaned the plate.

From what i understand, DTs and Marine Snow, etc, really doesnt feed most corals directly. Rather, it feeds the filterfeeding organisms within the tank that reproduce and its Their babies that provide the zooplankton for the corals to eat. Anyone else agree/ heard this interpretation?
Nishant

Nishant3789;40374 wrote: From what i understand, DTs and Marine Snow, etc, really doesnt feed most corals directly. Rather, it feeds the filterfeeding organisms within the tank that reproduce and its Their babies that provide the zooplankton for the corals to eat. Anyone else agree/ heard this interpretation?
Nishant
That was a continuation from a post higher up where I was speaking to feeding my clams and some other filter feeders in my tank. My coral food routine is still Selcon, Reef Chili and Cyclopeeze rolling around in the tank for about 4 hours with the return pump off.

Additionally, I dose iodine for the invert molts and a handful of corals.

Back