The Chronicles of my Bryopsis War

It may have been mentioned (I can't read the posts well from my phone) but if you are running Mg that high, that will actually contribute to algae growth. That's why Tech M specifically gives a Mg level to be maintained in order for it to be effective. Did you read Acroholics thread on Tech M and bryopsis?

Dave, it would make sense, but the result was completely opposite of what I've experienced with Tech-M, so I don't know what the deal is.

And Jeff, I had my MG at a reasonable level for more than enough time for it to make a difference before bumping up super high. It just didn't have any effect.

JeF4y;871896 wrote: Dave, it would make sense, but the result was completely opposite of what I've experienced with Tech-M, so I don't know what the deal is.

I would stick with Tech M, as it is the original solution.

Acroholic;871906 wrote: I would stick with Tech M, as it is the original solution.

I would, if I saw any positive result/hope in the 5+ months of using continuum & Tech M so far.

This is not to stop the conversation, but to clarify more. I'm not looking for alternatives at this point until I've run through my course with the Ultra Algae X. This thread is simply to document the experience with that particular product, in "real-time".

Last night was dose 2. I will post a pic this afternoon after the lights are up.

Jeff, Thanks for doing the experiment Algae X and taking the pics. Please keep doing so I'm curious to see how it works for you.
After reading a couple of your threads... you've tried a few different things I hope this one works. I tried several things at the same time and didn't get any useful insight. Experiment with one procedure and following it to it's conclusion will be valuable to you and to the others how read this thread.
Can't wait to see pics of dose 2

JeF4y;872026 wrote: I would, if I saw any positive result/hope in the 5+ months of using continuum & Tech M so far.

I have read some threads that users had the same lack of results with Tech M as you seem to have, and I know you well enough to know you are doing it the way you should. It would not surprise me if the concentration of the trace ion in Tech M that kills the bryopsis varies from production batch to batch. They certainly would not be trying to control that either way when they make it.

Acroholic;872121 wrote: I have read some threads that users had the same lack of results with Tech M as you seem to have, and I know you well enough to know you are doing it the way you should. It would not surprise me if the concentration of the trace ion in Tech M that kills the bryopsis varies from production batch to batch. They certainly would not be trying to control that either way when they make it.

Or maybe they ARE trying to control that ion so that people have to buy 6months worth of tech m before you see results :eek:

Edit: With all the hype about tech m and bryopsis, I'm thinking that they have taken the time to find out exactly what ion it is that kills the algae. It would be pretty dumb not to research it... Plus tech m has one up in cost over the past few years.

Ripped Tide;872126 wrote: Or maybe they ARE trying to control that ion so that people have to buy 6months worth of tech m before you see results :eek:

Edit: With all the hype about tech m and bryopsis, I'm thinking that they have taken the time to find out exactly what ion it is that kills the algae. It would be pretty dumb not to research it... Plus tech m has one up in cost over the past few years.

Jack Kent knows what it is that kills the bryopsis, but he cannot/will not reveal it because it could bring up legal issues if the algicidal properties are brought up or promoted, as algicides are gov't. regulated, whereas reef additives are not.

Same thing with freshwater BBA algae and Seachem Flourish Excel. Dose it at 2x recommended levels and it kills BBA, but they would not promote it as an algicide for the same reasons. It can be fatal to discus at that level, however. Makes Cory catfish swim around like they are drunk, but they recover.

I've heard that if you dose excell with discus, you'll have a tank of floaters.

Back in the day, when I was into planted discus tanks, I used to dose excell and the discus and corys never cared, but I never double dosed.

Hope you find a solution and don't give up Jeff, I have read your threads long time ago and you always put to much effort on what you doing, please don't give up!
On another side I even tough about calling you, to hear from you, how you just did clean up that 150 tank! I know a lot of elbow and that you explained very well, but men I really like how you configurated that tank! hope I can see it looking good again!

I used to have horrible Bryopsis problems. What finally worked for me was a combination of GFO and macro-algae to control phosphate, manual removal (the same method you are using), and a Magnificent Foxface. Multiple phosphate removal methods keep one of the required nutrients minimized, manual removal crops the Bryopsis to a size where the Foxface will eat it. Not a fast solution but it did work for me.

Its been ten days. Any change?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, been way too lax on updating the thread.

I spent 5 days in Phoenix away from the tank. Before I left, I had yet another conversation with someone about my problem and realized that there were a few more steps I could take to try and eradicate this without continuing down the chemical path.

I hate to be "that guy" who failed on the experiment, but I want to push out and see if I can kill this without effectively poisoning the water.

To that end, here has been my discovery & my path forward.

1 - I was feeding WAY too much. -- I have 4 clowns, 1 cardinal, 1 blenny, 1 goby, 1 wrasse & 1 powder brown tang. For them, I had been feeding 1/6 sheet of Nori & 2 cubes of mysis daily. That was simply waaaaay too much. So for the 5 days I was gone, I left the tank unfed. I came back to fish that looked exactly like they did when I left. Fat & fine. I cut the feeding down to 1/2 a cube of mysis per day and no Nori right now.

2 - My CUC was woefully undersized. I have been very lax on replenishing the CUC simply because I had been buying from reefcleaners.org and the creatures lack quality and longevity. Simon Kruger turned me on to reeftopia.com and I ordered a very sizable CUC including 4 lettuce nudibranchs.

For now I've restarted my GFO/Carbon, performed a few more manual cleanups as best I can, increased flow, dramatically decreased food, and dropped in a large CUC to augment the bit I had left. I am also pushing my MG up to 2400.

In the 5 days I was gone, there was no discernible growth to the bryopsis which is a good sign. Will see how things go over the next few weeks. If the changes I'm making do not have a decent impact, I will go back to a chemical solution.

Edit: Here are some pics of where I am today.

061313_001.jpg
alt="" />
061313_1.jpg
alt="" />

2 of the Nudibranches working on a rock.

061313_001.jpg
alt="" />
061313_2.jpg
alt="" />
061313_002.jpg
alt="" />

sure glad I will know what to do in case i get that yucky stuff tnxs for the teaching

hamnut;874030 wrote: sure glad I will know what to do in case i get that yucky stuff tnxs for the teaching

Not sure I can advise doing anything that I do, but if nothing else it's a data point.

Ripped Tide;874037 wrote: When ever you feel like you have added enough gfo.... Double it!

I take a slightly different stance.

Add slightly more, and change it more often.

I've found that adding more doesn't work as well (for me) as changing it more often. I believe that some of the GFO gets phosphate saturated and then releases it out into the rest of the GFO thus ruining it quicker, and being less efficient than changing smaller amounts more frequently. I'm not 100% positive if this is fact, but it's what I've done & seemed to work pretty well.

JeF4y;874038 wrote: I take a slightly different stance.

Add slightly more, and change it more often.

I've found that adding more doesn't work as well (for me) as changing it more often. I believe that some of the GFO gets phosphate saturated and then releases it out into the rest of the GFO thus ruining it quicker, and being less efficient than changing smaller amounts more frequently. I'm not 100% positive if this is fact, but it's what I've done & seemed to work pretty well.

I was doing the same until talking to randy and listening to him talk about the reactors that he builds for municipal water sources.

They fill it up and don't change it but once every few years. They use a down flow and backwash it to break the bonded po4 off. Po4 adheres to the gfo, and when it grinds against itself, it lets it go.

I fill the reactor up, and once a week or so, I'll open the valve for full flow and allow the gfo to tumble aggressively. I'll drain that water into a bucket. I have been really pleased with the out come and it DESTROYED my po4. I feel like I have a license to feed.

Back