The Final(ly) Product - 30g JBJ AIO Rimless

mattyams

Market
Reaction score
<p style="text-align:center;"><u><span style="font-size: 15px;">The Final(ly) Project</span></u></em>

It took me forever to get here but I finally got it the way I want. The reason it is called the Final(ly) Project is because so how many tanks I have gone though to get the display I wanted.

But enough about that, here are the pics.

Start Date
12/27/12

<<<Current FTS>>>
2013-03-27094116_zps020ffc15.jpg
alt="" />

<<<Late March (Tank upgrade ver2)>>>
2013-03-27094219_zps4655ba79.jpg
alt="" />

<<<Beginning March (Tank upgrade ver1)>>>
NewFixture_zps13da9fe3.jpg
alt="" />

<<<Late Feburary>>>
image-1_zpsf0e958b1.jpg
alt="" />

<<<Early Janurary>>>
2013-01-11142514_zpsf096b4df.jpg
alt="" />

<<<The Beginning>>>
LateDec2_zps39be3d6b.jpg
alt="" />

<u>Equipment</u></em>

JBJ 30 gallon AIO Rimless tank
ReefBreeders 120w Value fixture
Hydor Slim Skim Nano
EcoTech MP10w @ 65% Nuitrent Transport Mode
Aqueon Pro 150w
JBJ ATO w/ AquaLifter pump.
Coralife 3 stage RO/DI 75gpd w/BRS DI extra DI stage and dual in-line TDS
Salinity Salt Mix

<u>Biological Filtration</u></em>
CaribSea Ocean Direct
25 pounds Wall o' Live Rock - no real inspiration, just did it that way.
Macros
Active Carbon and GFO in filter boxes

<u>Livestock</u></em>

Yellow Watchman Goby
Pistol Shrimp
Purple Firefish
Red Brittle Starfish

<u>Corals</u></em>

Green Bay Packers and Dragon Eye Zoas
ZoaBall_zpscd8950c0.jpg
alt="" />

Fuzzy Green Mushrooms
79cd3fc4-309e-4928-b7ab-738184f43bdc_zpse7feaab5.jpg
alt="" />

TriColor Orange Ricordea Florida
Rocidia_zps2291d3d0.jpg
alt="" />

Xenia
Xenia_zps94afab81.jpg
alt="" />

Blue and Pink Acan
Acan_zpsb984be0d.jpg
alt="" />

Bi-Color Candy
Green Star Polyp
Duncan Head

<u>Other Photos</u></em>
2013-03-25185557_zps6a2f30e4.jpg
alt="" />
2013-03-25185609_zps02a5a51b.jpg
alt="" />
2013-03-27094100_zps17ed4fd7.jpg
alt="" />

Bjandsteph24;854048 wrote: Dude you made that thing look sweet!!!! Guess it was worth that drive to Augusta after all!

Thanks man! It was well worth the drive. The rain and almost falling asleep on the way home wasn't fun, but none the less...well worth!

Thanks a bunch. I have added a few more corals and I'm thinking about re doing my rock work. I like the wall but it sucks cleaning the glass.

This looks great, I have enjoyed the evolution of your tank(s). I was wondering how you were going to clean the side glass, you do keep it looking very clean!

mattyams;857909 wrote: Thanks a bunch. I have added a few more corals and I'm thinking about re doing my rock work. I like the wall but it sucks cleaning the glass.
I was reading something, I believe by Julian Sprung that said that it's important to have 4" in between all sides and the rock for flow. Of course, you do have an mp10 which probably gives you plenty of flow, but the result of trying to keep the 4" space tends to be BA in appearance as well

JDavid;858017 wrote: I was reading something, I believe by Julian Sprung that said that it's important to have 4" in between all sides and the rock for flow. Of course, you do have an mp10 which probably gives you plenty of flow, but the result of trying to keep the 4" space tends to be BA in appearance as well

Yep. After work tomorrow I'm going to take the wall down and redo all the rocks and coral. The sides are gunking up pretty bad and it's starting to irritate me. Not quite sure what to do yet but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Also I think that 4" is too much for a nano. I was thinking of just e ought room to get my mag float around.

Sent from my cryPad using Tapatalk HD

mattyams;858130 wrote: Yep. After work tomorrow I'm going to take the wall down and redo all the rocks and coral. The sides are gunking up pretty bad and it's starting to irritate me. Not quite sure what to do yet but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Also I think that 4" is too much for a nano. I was thinking of just e ought room to get my mag float around.

Ya I agree about 4" being too much in a nano. I usually leave enough room for a mag float and a scraper. Most of my tanks employ a one piece structure of several rocks glued together so I can slid to one side or the other for some deep cleaning. Good luck and cant wait to see some pics.

So I got the rock moved around tonight. I couldn't get it to stand up like I wanted to in the center so the rock still leans against the back of the tank. Not too big of a deal IMO. I will get some pictures tomorrow as soon as the water clears.

Here are the photos of the new rock work. Feedback welcome.

6edubu9e.jpg
alt="" />
8ynymy5u.jpg
alt="" />
y8uhumep.jpg
alt="" />
9e3yzu5a.jpg
alt="" />
by8a3a6e.jpg
alt="" />
yju8udyh.jpg
alt="" />
5y5edusa.jpg
alt="" />

I'm pleased with the final outcome.

Thanks!

Anyone able to explain to me why my water is 100 times clearer since I've done this change?

looks way better man! Now I can admit, I hated the wall o' LR!!! It was the only thing I didn't like about your tank.
I'm glad this has come together so nicely!

JDavid;858654 wrote: looks way better man! Now I can admit, I hated the wall o' LR!!! It was the only thing I didn't like about your tank.
I'm glad this has come together so nicely!

I'm not going to lie. I didn't like it either. I did at first then I realized that it just looked grungy and wrong. Now, it has depth and a little cave. I appreciate the criticism.

Back