The turtle and the sea hare...

jessezm

Market
Reaction score
Okay, quick question--

I added a sea hare yesterday to my tank to take care of some hair algae, and it has not moved an inch in 24hrs. I acclimated him for 45 min before putting him in, but there was pretty big difference in SG between the LFS water and mine (1.021 vs. 1.026). I'm confident it's still alive, but concerned that it isn't moving--should I be? Do you think it just needs more time to adjust? Right now it's just sort of swaying a bit in the current out on the sandbed.

Are these things usually this slow?

no they arent jesse...I recently added one to my tank and it ate all my hair algae in the matter of 24hrs. I drip acclimated for 45min after getting temps the same. How large is the sea hare because if it is small it wont eat the hair algae. Mine was the size of compter mouse maybe a little bigger. Unfortuantly mine hit my powerhead and met its fate :( ....I didnt think that would happen to it but it tried to clean the powerhead. As far as advice I dont have much more then that.

Stroid, mine is about the size of a common field mouse (as long as we're making mouse comparisons...), so hopefully it will be big enough to eat readily.

Sounds like I should just wait and watch...

When my algae is gone, I'll offer him up to anyone else with the same problem.

Jesse that sounds like it should be at algae eating size :) good luck and watch those powerheads

Mizah00;106212 wrote: how are the sea hare at the avairum?
Thats where I got mine and it ate the hair algae very well I would recommend them.

Mine took a good day and a half to move, but once he started, he was all over the place. He did just up an die one day. he didn't even finish eating all of the hair algae.

when one dies, pull him out quickly and toss him really really really really far away! they STINK!

Mine never moved an inch, and was dead the next day. It did stink!

Yeah, I'm glad I watched it like a hawk and got it out in time. I think with my next one (Blue planet said free replacement), I'll acclimate for 1.5 hrs instead of 45 minutes...

Back