Thinking about shutting down

Sorry to hear about your troubles Jeff.

Have you lost any livestock recently, or anything else that might have decayed/released large amounts of nitrogen into the system?

PFCDeitz;1078407 wrote: Do i need to take you to the range and let you shoot the .50 so you can come back and make this tank bow down
??? Dont give up!

You really have an M107? Impressive!

It just hit me. But, have you cleaned out your overflows in while? I found over 30 bristleworms in mine yesterday.. A few months ago there was only one and I had over an inch of diatrus in the bottom. Just something to check on.

Try a marine pure 8x8x4 block or two. Gotta give it time to seed but I used one with my 60 cube and never head measurable nitrates. PO4 on the other hand...

Hey Jeff,
Sorry for your frustration!

Sounds like you've done a lot but bet you could do more! A lot of great suggestions above. Only thing I'm wondering is how good are you at vacuuming and do you really blow out/off your Rock, clean back behind Rock & glass areas...prior to WC?
It's amazing how much gunk I can get every time I do this! If it isn't done often then I suggest only cleaning small portions as a precaution for your fishes health.

Other than cleaning old gunk all I've got to say is "Stop It"!!!
You better not shut down using nitrates for an exit, your better than that!

Nopox will drop it. It won't cure the problem, but it will drop the levels

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Large water changes. No need to add carbon sources yet. Matrix will take time to work..it's not a miracle cure that works right out of the jar..give it time.

hey jeff, i see you tested your rodi water. i know its unlikely but have you tested your newly made saltwater? if its not the ro and doing water changes dosent bring the no3 down than maybe its in the salt. just a thought. also i agree on the marine pure and matrix. i use both and they work great, but like raj said they take time to get going

Suck it up man and do some water changes!!!!! Get off that pocket book and buy some salt dude. :) You know what it is gonna take.

Skriz;1078453 wrote: Large water changes. No need to add carbon sources yet. Matrix will take time to work..it's not a miracle cure that works right out of the jar..give it time.

totally disagree!
Carbon dosing is done in very small increments in very small stages, so actually there would only be very incremental benefits, but benefits indeed over a 2-6 month period.

please PM me if you have any questions...

(either of you) :lol2:

When I had this same issue on my 75g reef tank I used Nopox and water changes. Doing this for about two weeks had me back to normal.

Bassett22;1078838 wrote: Its been mentioned aleady, but seriously look into vodka dosing. I never gave it much thought till I tried it on my 250. It kept nitrates and phosphates down so easily.

your welcome! lol

Update:

I think there are several things that were going on all at the same time. First...I did start heavy water changes....40g per week (of 200g twv) and I added Matrix through a canister filter. That dropped nitrates a little but not as much as I'd hoped.

I noticed in one corner of the tank at the bottom of an overflow was something black in color just laying on the sandbed. I vacuumed it out and it was BLACK and stunk! I cleaned every where....sump, skimmer, sandbed in the tank....did about 50g of vacuuming and that brought nitrates down to the 15-20 range. Still not where I wanted to be. I think what I have is "old tank syndrome". Almost all of my sand came from a prior tank so that makes it all in the 6 - 7 year old range. I continue to vacuum that one corner on a weekly basis and while it's not as dark now as it once was, I still get a collection of detrius there. Seems odd to me but there it is.

Finally, I realized that I had removed about 40 lbs of live rock when I got rid of a lot of softies (I let the rock go with the corals) but I didn't replace any of it. In effect, I reduced the anaerobic bacteria available. I've since increased the live rock by around 30-40 lbs plus I added about 15 lbs of rubble to what was my refugium and I can already see an improvement.

I'm still doing weekly water changes but have backed those down to 20g one week alternating with 10g the following week. That amounts to 60g per month. I'm also planning to put vodka dosing in. The doser is set up and I have the bottle of vodka, now just looking at the formula to determine how much on a daily basis.

Back