Thinking going LED

I wondered the same thing...

I know that you can buy a module for the Apex that will controll AquaIllumination's lighting systems..

Go with Aqua Illumination .... I built my own led setup on my biocube ... By the time you add everything up .. The AI are the way to go .. And you can control all three colors b/rb/w.... Have two of their ai sol blues and looking to add 1 more to my dt

If my light fixtures were going to be visible above the tank I might lean toward the AI Sol's but my build is gonna be in-wall so no aesthetic concerns. Plus electrical and fabrication work is not a problem for me as I have plenty of experience and tools.

I spent a good chunk of the day researching the components and design architecture of the AI Sol and aside from not being able to truly duplicate the 3-in-1 optic, I am certain I can build the same unit (performance wise).

Pricing out the component and misc. stuff (bulk 20AWG wire, thermal glue, etc.) it looks like a saving of roughly +50% (5 Sol's ~$2800 vs 5 DIY ~$1300) compared to the AI Sol's.... hard to pass that up.

I'm going to setup 3-4 of EcoXotics LED sets in my 30L tank in the kitchen..
I'll let y'all know how it works out.. (I've got a marineland doublebright in there now, but it's just not getting things done by itself.. )

and this tank is Fish Only..

haninja;623257 wrote: I think i'm going to get one of the 50w for a test.
why can't they (or DO THEY?) make a 100*+ lens for these lamps?

I would think if they did, it would straight up replace MH lamps..

Totalchaos13;623179 wrote: If my light fixtures were going to be visible above the tank I might lean toward the AI Sol's but my build is gonna be in-wall so no aesthetic concerns. Plus electrical and fabrication work is not a problem for me as I have plenty of experience and tools.

I spent a good chunk of the day researching the components and design architecture of the AI Sol and aside from not being able to truly duplicate the 3-in-1 optic, I am certain I can build the same unit (performance wise).

Pricing out the component and misc. stuff (bulk 20AWG wire, thermal glue, etc.) it looks like a saving of roughly +50% (5 Sol's ~$2800 vs 5 DIY ~$1300) compared to the AI Sol's.... hard to pass that up.

This assumes that your time and a guarantee are worth nothing though. For instance if you assume you time is worth $30/hr and it will take you 20 hours of planning and build time to get it right that is another $500. Also the AI modules come with like a 1 year warranty (I think), but if anything breaks with your DIY you have to fix it at your cost, so that also has some value. Beyond that you would have to start comparing apples to apples and ensure that you were building exactly the same capabilities as they are selling.

The DIY is still cheaper I'm sure, but the overall difference with everything included is probably not quite as separated. Not trying to convince anyone to buy versus build, just pointing out some things about the price comparison.

How are you setting up your aquascape...
I am thinking i can get by with just 3 sol blues on my
220g .. Since all my rock is in middle of tank ( nothing touching front or back glass)
I have decided to run them long ways .. My units are 8 inches over
The water .. So what i am going to do is swap out the 40 degee optics
And put in 70 degree for more spread ... I also am only running my units at
40% so. Can always turn up the light if need be ...

Just a thought no need to run ai's front to back ... Unless you have rock and coras stacked up on back wall

I am waing on my 3rd unit to come in ...
Bottom line might be able to use less led depending on your set up ...

I am a huge diyer but the fit and finish of the ai is great ... Plus if you Need to swap out leds its simple ... just plug and play ..

Just a thought ... Good luck on build ... Love to see it when done

LivingRoomOcean;623279 wrote: How are you setting up your aquascape...
I am thinking i can get by with just 3 sol blues on my
220g .. Since all my rock is in middle of tank ( nothing touching front or back glass)
I have decided to run them long ways .. My units are 8 inches over
The water .. So what i am going to do is swap out the 40 degee optics
And put in 70 degree for more spread ... I also am only running my units at
40% so. Can always turn up the light if need be ...

Just a thought no need to run ai's front to back ... Unless you have rock and coras stacked up on back wall

I am waing on my 3rd unit to come in ...
Bottom line might be able to use less led depending on your set up ...

I am a huge diyer but the fit and finish of the ai is great ... Plus if you Need to swap out leds its simple ... just plug and play ..

Just a thought ... Good luck on build ... Love to see it when done

I'd be interested to here how running less modules works for you. I have a 175 (72") and am balking at the ~$3,200 to buy the AI set-up that they recommend. My return on investment at that price is kind of long. If I was able to get it down in the $2k-$2.5k range though it may pay for itself in a few years.

Actually they just updated their recommendations
If you can get the units 12 inches off water
They are saying go with 3 http://support.aquaillumination.com/entries/459049-tank-recommendations">http://support.aquaillumination.com/entries/459049-tank-recommendations</a>
My tank is 72 x 24 x 30 inches deep

I am at 8 inches ... This is why is am swapping out the 40's for the 70's
Again it all depends where your rockwork and coral placement is

Might save you a ton of $$$ ...

Not arguing with ya Brew, but I'd rather pay myself the $30 an hour! As for guarantees, it's all about fine print which in this case is:

"C2 Development warrants to the original purchaser only that the AquaIllumination Lighting Product will be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use for a period of thirty (30) days from the date of purchase of either one (1) year from the date of purchase – if the product is properly registered through the registration process below provided that the product is installed and used properly and consistent with the product manual... ...C2 Development’s warranty shall not apply: (i) to any damaged AquaIllumination Lighting Product that has been subjected to accident, misuse, neglect, alteration, acts of God, improper handling, improper transport, improper storage, improper use or application, improper installation, improper testing or unauthorized repair, operation outside recommended parameters (as described in the applicable product manual, for example, damage from saltwater spray or heat), power fluctuation or failure, subjection to abnormal physical or electrical stress, use of incompatible products, non-approved power supplies/connections, or similar circumstances (ii) to any AquaIllumination Lighting Product where product been exposed to water or (iii) to cosmetic problems or defects that result from normal wear and tear under ordinary use, and do not affect the performance or use of the product."</em>

I'm not saying that AI has had or will have issues but these are limited lifetime warranty and will ultimately end up costing you 'something' if there is an issue.

Fixing a DIY is inherently easier since you can pretty much replace any component on your own for the cost of the individual component.

As to the "apples to apples" I was able to get the specific manufacturer's component list of the AI Sol and price out the individual parts. The LED's are exactly the same. The reflector quality and angle of reflection are the same. The power supply and wiring are based on electrical engineering so no issues with performance.

In the end you are correct that there is a risk involved with DIY on any project. The thing I hope people realize right now is that the margin companies like AI are making is obscene. Don't get me wrong. If I were in their position I'd be doing the same thing. That's capitalism. Provide a product at the price the market will bear which is normally dictated by availability and public knowledge...

In the end you need to do what makes you feel the most comfortable and satisfied with your purchase. I for one, am not skilled enough to build a controller so I pay the premium to buy a name brand one. Just don't assume that because someone else made it you are better off.

If you aren't doing DIY and have a currently running MH or T5 setup, I'd consider waiting a year or so before going LED, especially for a big tank. The prices are bound to come down.

Yeah... I really love those AI sol units, but give em 12-18 months and prices are going to come down. How much is anyone's guess but they'll come down.

Crewdawg1981;623486 wrote: Yeah... I really love those AI sol units, but give em 12-18 months and prices are going to come down. How much is anyone's guess but they'll come down.

I see them coming down to about 1.5 X the cost of an equivilant MH fixture..

(mainly because they don't have to be cheaper than a MH fixture, because they are more efficient, so people will pay more in the short term to save more in the long term.. )

say somewhere between $350-$450 each Module

Rbredding;623493 wrote: I see them coming down to about 1.5 X the cost of an equivilant MH fixture..

(mainly because they don't have to be cheaper than a MH fixture, because they are more efficient, so people will pay more in the short term to save more in the long term.. )

say somewhere between $350-$450 each Module

I'd agree... and at that price I'm shopping.

And then there are these on the horizon....

a>

these manufacturers dont get it yet...

"mount 15" to 18" above the water line" - come on, who has a 24" canopy on top of their tank? (I've seen maybe 4)

they need to work on the lenses.. create a way to put these fixtures less than 12" above the water and have them cover a 24X24 area... (or 18X18)

they'll TAKE OFF when the LED fixtures are DIRECT REPLACEMENTS for MH's..

Back