Thinking of doing two 30 Breeders for frags...ideas?

rskillz

Market
Reaction score
What would be the best way to make them frag ready? I assume drill two holes in each for return and durso, then silicone on a overflow? Also, would it be easiest to have them both connected to one sump and return?

A bit new to this type of setup, any suggestions? I don't have room to plumb these into my existing setup.

If it were me, I'd drill just one hole in each near the top for the overflow and run the returns over the lip of the tank. Or drill the holes low and run pvc up to the top for the overflow but still do the returns over the lips of the tanks. Do one sump and one return pump with powerheads in each tank.

I would deffinatly not connect them to the main tank, this way tou have a back up.

*This would be my expensive idea*
I would have the two thirty breeders stacked up on top of each other, using leds or mh for lighting. As far as plumbing I would drill one hole for the overflow box, have three more holes in each tank for returns (minimal power heads, and max flow) each would have a different direction of flow (and would have check valves) all the plumbing would hook up to a central sump and a overkill sized pump.
I would make the tanks bear bottom with black acrylic frag racks.

Here's science for you as an Answer. If these are frag racks and in no way display tanks. Use science and exp. Do not use any black for the science reason it absorbs light. Mirror all sides of the tank you can. So things like birds set get light even under branches. Not to mention you keep the par higher in the tank with less light. " Mylar" is cheap and highly reflective I use it in hydroponic gardens. Experience says waste not want not 15-20 years ago we where doing this and it's still true today. You can run both tanks off of one 250 watt or a 400 watt mh. No need for 2 it's even better If you use one let exp tell you why. If you put that single light on a track system you move the light. So it's not always just that one spot on your corals that get light. It acts more like sunrise and sunset. Again old timey exp here but 15 or so years ago after 2 or 3 months of not paying for the electric bill for 2 lamps running you had paid for the track system and from then on out you where saving money. So to go over it one more time mirrored walls= need less light, moving light= smaller bills and healthier corals, no black anything because it absorbed light :) if you want any more help with your set up feel free to pm I may be able to even swing by n take a peek give you a few more pointers who knows.

I would treat them as two separate displays fed/draining to the same sump...

just as you would if you had two overflows in a larger display tank..

RaisedOnNintendo's mirror idea is great, I was thinking about this for my display tank build I am doing right now.

I decided against it for this build for only 1 reason:
if you decide you want to add fish to the tank - they will think there is more open water and swim into the side of the tank often

I decided against it for this build for only 1 reason:
if you decide you want to add fish to the tank - they will think there is more open water and swim into the side of the tank often

White reflects alot of light without looking like its an endless ocean

Back