Thoughts?

oceandeep85

Market
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/JBJ-Reaction-Canister-Sterilizer-100-Gallon/dp/B007JM17B8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406829240&sr=8-1&keywords=JBJ+Reaction+4">Amazon.com : JBJ 4-Stage Reaction Canister Filter with UV Sterilizer for Aquarium, Filters Up to 100-Gallon : Pet Supplies@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Yx8fV-iQL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Yx8fV-iQL</a>

All-

Buying one of these from someone on Craigslist this evening for $35... was used on freshwater and they say the UV light is still good.

Any thoughts? Anyone familiar?

I figure even if it's a dud, I'm only out $35 if I flop...

ok.. so.. if they used any medications that contain copper, then the filter is thrashed for good? That can't be right.. haha.. wouldn't carbon remove it?

No bc if carbon could remove it you could use it in salt water to get rid of ich. That's why that question is ask alot when selling and buying tanks

There is methods for extracting copper for certain material, it's just not easy. Not sure what material that filter what be made of or whether or not typical removal would work successfully or not. Personally I wouldn't try it if I'd know it had copper ran through it.

DawgFace;973535 wrote: There is methods for extracting copper for certain material, it's just not easy. Not sure what material that filter what be made if or whether or not typical removal would work successfully or not. Personally I wouldn't try it if I'd know it had copper ran through it.
Listen to this guy he knows his stuff

Important to also note, copper is a no no only for corals, inverts and some fish not all. Fish being Angels, sharks, rays.....

The copper use in old tanks is something I am unsure as to if it is just one of those myths perpetuated on the net or a fact. We have a lot of those myths to deal with. There is ionic copper in normal sea water, albeit a very small amount.

Ocean, if you ever do have a question about copper in your tank, the Polyfilter will remove copper from water, and is reef safe to use. It turns color depending on what metal it removes, blue if it takes any copper. There is also a product called Cuprisorb.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4335">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4335</a>

In a glass tank treated with a copper based med, the copper could only hang in the silicone, so unless silicone is incredibly porous, I personally would not worry about it. In the filter you describe, it would have to absorb into the plastic material that makes water contact besides the motor impeller.

JMO, but I think a lot of the "don't use it if it has been treated with a copper medication" stuff is old wive's tales.

Used tanks that had copper can be reused for reefs.

If that old wives tale was true, there would be about 100 tanks out there, that I sold off (and I'd bought used), that wouldn't be supporting frags today.

Porous media can and will retail copper so it should be discarded but filters, tanks etc., if they're cleaned, should be just fine.

Jenn

I believed that copper one for years. And yes, I would not reuse stuff like very porous rock that had been exposed to copper.

ok... well, as of right now it seems to be kind of a moot point because I can't get the people to e-mail me back about meeting up to get the thing... haha.

Yeah, obviously before it gets hooked up, it's going to get a THOROUGH cleaning and will run a bit of freshwater through it.

My advice, skip on the uv/canister combo thing. Get a good eheim or fluval if you're set on the canister.

ok.

I have a chance to pick up an API Filstar Large for $60 and some Tonga Rock.. They're usually about $150 or more..

I love Bulk Reef Supply, Bassett but they are expensive as hell!

Those are all $80-$150 new online, depending on size. unless you're getting a whole bunch of rock, I'd pass and wait for something better

JDavid;973582 wrote: Those are all $80-$150 new online, depending on size. unless you're getting a whole bunch of rock, I'd pass and wait for something better

it is brand new, in an unopened box. It's actually a guy in the club.. Matt7? I'm trading him the two pieces of Tonga I have and giving him $60 for it.

what do you think?

Personally, I'd pass completely on a canister for a saltwater tank.

Good flow and a good protein skimmer will work better than any canister, without the long-term hassle of nitrate control that a canister can create.

Jenn

JennM;973585 wrote: Personally, I'd pass completely on a canister for a saltwater tank.

Good flow and a good protein skimmer will work better than any canister, without the long-term hassle of nitrate control that a canister can create.

Jenn

Thats my thinking as well, I don't think he as a sump, so a good HOB skimmer would be a good way to go.

For clarity - nitrate control *issues. I omitted a word.

In my experience, canisters are not a good choice for saltwater, with the possible exception of for occasionally polishing the water with mechanical/chemical media, then removing and emptying after running for a few days.

A canister that's allowed to go biological can lead to high nitrate issues.

Most canisters were designed to be used in freshwater planted tanks: Lower flow, lower pH and lower dissolved oxygen. That's the exact opposite of what you want in a saltwater tank.

If you already have one and want to make use of it, then it's a good water polisher.

I wouldn't suggest spending money on one. Money is better spent on water movement (ie good powerhead) and a good skimmer.

I ran a 55 for several years with just a couple of powerheads and a good HOB skimmer, and lots of good live rock for biological. I had a spot to put some carbon for chemical filtration (a HOB filter is good for this), and that was it.

Jenn

Back