Thoughts?

The little koralia nano powerhead (425 gph) is the biggest one I feel comfortable using in my 10g. I've got plenty of powerheads. And it's like $25 new.

For <$100 you can get a decent used HOB skimmer, I recommend the reef octopus BH 100 or similar, there's plenty of options. You do have a pump in the tank with a HOB skimmer though, and with just the heater, pump for my reactor, hob filter intake, and powerhead in the 10 gallon, I understand your want for a canister. Mines a holding tank though.

What I'm getting at is.. You'd be better off saving this money for the next upgrade. Consider anything you buy, and whether or not it will carry over into the next build.

HOB skimmer? Likely if you go undrilled with the next tank will be useful. But what if you find a sweet drilled setup that you can't pass on?

Remember, I have a 30x18x25 tank you can come get. It was my brother's successful reef for years. Somewhere in the 55-60 gallon range..

I see. So much conflicting info! Haha. I've been told ad nauseum that you don't need a skimmer for anything less than 30 gallons... Plus I plan to get A clown and then focus on LPS and softie corals only. Unfortunately with my space and budget limitations, I can't go sumpless or upgrade to some 75 gallon setup.. although I definitely will one day. But right now, pico is the way to go for me. Maybe a 29 gallon by the end of the year but it's tentative.

They make skimmers for almost any smaller volume tank. You'd be amazed how many models are available. A skimmer is not "necessary" for any system as long as you are keeping organics under control some way or another. But, they are so easy to use and work so well, why not use one?

You may have space considerations with a smaller volume no sump tank, and there is only so much space for HOB equipment.

If I did not run a skimmer, I would probably do more water changes than I would otherwise, as that would remove organics the way a skimmer does.

Why not upgrade to JUST a 20g tall? I'm sure someone has one for $20. It would make it so much easier.

Back