Threaded or Slip Unions?

tanked

Market
Reaction score
Hey i'm trying to get my plumbing finalized and i ran into a question i haven't been able to find an answer to. This is my first tank and figured someone with a few years experience would have run into this or have a well educated guess.

I have read that the more union fittings the better so i'm sure i have plenty to run throughout the system including the True union Cepex ball valves.

so first Is it better to use the slip fittings and use a cement for the unions? I understand you can take sections of the plumbing out but would have to replace the union if things needed to be changed.

or

Use the threaded Unions with threaded male fittings on the ends of my pipes? And if so is it always necessary to use teflon tape on the threads? i thought i read online somewhere that taping the threads can cause separation in the threads themselves when tightening and cause leaks.

Both are good options, I used the celexa union valves too. There are advanteges to using both types. With the slip fitting, you are less likely to have leaks, but if you ever need to switch something out you will need to buy a new union. With the threaded fitting, you are able to disassemble for reuse, but there is a chance you could get a leak. There is also the fact that it would be a little more expensive buying the pipe adapters, etc. IMO, the more simple you can make it, the less problems you could run into. I would use the slip fittings if I was pluming another tank.

Slip. No point in the extra "convenience" of threaded (pain in the butt with initial setup) if you're going to be smart with union placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you can go any way you want, a few have reasons for doing it their way and i'm no different.
i like to take all the possible issues out before hand and leaks are a big no no.
i would have to say slip only as long as i can help it, in the pass i have used threaded and used thread seal with a little leak, tighten it up and it stopped and weeks later the female split cause the male end was too tight a fit.
it's pvc, if you need to make plumbing changes you can just cut the pipe and repair, slip also makes it easier to measure your pipe lengths with out making mistakes for adding the thread.
basically for me is just taking out that one more leak factor.

Back