tips and tricks for newbies.... (and some for the pros)

project1004;1031056 wrote:
ALSO have a way to stop the RODI water from overflowing onto the carpet or hardwood floor. ( i had to learn it hardway.) You could use float switch or drill a hole at the top of container and have it go into drainline. Although it is wasting good water but you dont have to worry about overflowing. I wish I had wet-vac when it flooded my entire livingroom at 4 am. I had to use a little coffee cup to scoop-up the water. Now I have 4 leak detector via Apex in case.

I think I have come up with a genius idea for this after flooding my basement three times. Two of which my wife find AFTER I went to work. Guess who cleaned those up!

I got a hot water tank drain pan and put it under the brute and plumbed it into the overflow for my HVAC. Now when it over flows (no I haven't learned my lesson) it gets pumped out instead of on the floor

9uizDZw.jpg
alt="" />

With the newspaper, do i just wipe the glass? How does that work? Wet it down with RODI? Is the ink not a problem?

I guess I don't feel so bad about not knowing the newspaper trick.

This is what I am taking about, simple tricks that make your life easier that others may not know.

To answer the question, no water. Just a dry piece of news print. Then use it to buff out any smears

Now I need to figure out where to get newspaper...:confused2:

I use the county newspapers that get delivered even though I have requested then to stop...

GaJeep94YJ;1031076 wrote: I think I have come up with a genius idea for this after flooding my basement three times. Two of which my wife find AFTER I went to work. Guess who cleaned those up!

I got a hot water tank drain pan and put it under the brute and plumbed it into the overflow for my HVAC. Now when it over flows (no I haven't learned my lesson) it gets pumped out instead of on the floor

Guys, you just need one of these and your RODI overflow problems will be solved... (Well, mostly, they can get stuck if not maintained, but I have never ever had a problem with mine.)

a>

ghbrewer;1031174 wrote: Guys, you just need one of these and your RODI overflow problems will be solved... (Well, mostly, they can get stuck if not maintained, but I have never ever had a problem with mine.)

http://spectrapure.com/Automatic-Shut-Off-Float-Kit-w-1-4in-fittings&filter_name=auto">http://spectrapure.com/Automatic-Shut-Off-Float-Kit-w-1-4in-fittings&filter_name=auto</a>[/QUOTE]

I have the same safety kit installed and it hasn't failed me YET. Lol. Like Grant pointed out they can and eventually do fail. However, the wife hasn't killed me while I was sleeping for filling the basement full of water (YET). LOL.

Another tip/trick between water change is to have long hose attached to a filter sock and suck up the detrius from the sand be and have it exit to the sump. It will help clean up that sand bed as well.... It works great if you feeling lazy... Just make sure the sock is clean and stop before it gets too dirty. ect.

Im getting me one of those float switch. Thanks!!!

Bcavalli;1031177 wrote: I have the same safety kit installed and it hasn't failed me YET. Lol. Like Grant pointed out they can and eventually do fail. However, the wife hasn't killed me while I was sleeping for filling the basement full of water (YET). LOL.

I have this safety kit and it fails for me regularly... It would probably work better if I actually installed it.

Crew;1031182 wrote: I have this safety kit and it fails for me regularly... It would probably work better if I actually installed it.

I would probably get to work on that one. Lmao

I use this for any RO needs. For instance filling my RO for testing water, flushing and filling my ATO containers. I am so absentminded that I ALWAYS walk away and forge the RO is running. It saved me more times than I can count.

prod_display.cfm

What Abbott phosgard? I tested my water at pure reef and they said I had 0. Should I still run it in my sock? Does it wear out? How often is it replaced?

GaJeep94YJ;1031245 wrote: What Abbott phosgard? I tested my water at pure reef and they said I had 0. Should I still run it in my sock? Does it wear out? How often is it replaced?

it depends on what kind of test kit they're using. i'm assuming they're not using an ultra low range kit because if they were you wouldnt get a reading of 0. yes you should always run it because there will always be phosphates being added to the system, unless you decide to stop feeding that is lol. and it does wear out but it just depends on how much phosphate is in the water, the more po4 the quicker it wears out. but a good rule of thumb is to swap it out every two weeks just to be safe

Edit: you don't always have to run phosgaurd but you should always have some method of phosphate removal going weather it be carbon dosing, frequent water changes, an ATS or a media like phosgaurd or gfo.

Back