Tips for taking pictures and video with iPad or other mobile device

cdelaney

Supporting
Reaction score
anyone have any tips for taking videos of your reef with an iPad? I tried to record my tank tonight when the blues settled in and it was like the camera was very confused. Grainy, psychedelic and not a true representation of what I was seeing. I know it's tough, but any tips? I tried to share a sample video so you guys can see what I mean but not sure it uploaded. Maybe there's some settin I'm missing or maybe even an app out there that helps...

I have AI sol blue LEDs. This time of day I'm getting to the heavier blues so I know that makes things tougher. I have a lamp on in the room for what it's worth

I think a few people here used the snapseed app with fairly good results. A red gel filter helps with heavy blue lighting as well.

after taking the pic, go to the photo, and click edit, then apply the "transfer" filter. It's not "crazy good" but it's definitely marked improvement. On an iphone, you can apply the filter pre-photo

You'll at least be able to distinguish color with this

I like the idea of just taking a picture and using it, no adjusting or enhancing but that's just me and I am kind of lazy. So here are my quick tip for taking better color neutral pictures with your cell phone. I have a tank with an ATI t-5 and another tank with an AI hydra 26 LED. Each light type has its own challenges for cell phone pictures.

I use gel filters, Josh posted a link some time ago for buying off e-bay. For $5 you get a pack of about 12 different gels films. Real easy to use, just hold in front of the cell phone camera lens and click away.

First example is a Tirerra Del Fuego colony under mostly blue T-5's. First is a raw picture and the second is with a gel filter (no adjusting or enhancing, just point and shoot). First pictures are with no filters.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1040325=62486-t5 gel TDF.jpg
>
1040325=62486-t5 gel TDF.jpg
class="gc-images" title="t5 gel TDF.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1040325=62484-t5 raw TDF.jpg
>
1040325=62484-t5 raw TDF.jpg
class="gc-images" title="t5 raw TDF.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Nex is another T-5 example this time with some montiporas using a different gel filter.
1040326=62488-t5 monti gel.jpg
>
1040326=62488-t5 monti gel.jpg
class="gc-images" title="t5 monti gel.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1040326=62487-t5 monti RAW.jpg
>
1040326=62487-t5 monti RAW.jpg
class="gc-images" title="t5 monti RAW.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Putting it down and using a real camera works really well for me.

Finally, last one I promise...an LED example. The gel filters can work here (2nd photo) but you can get pretty good results by just turning your whites all the way up or your blues off as in the 3rd picture. Seems like i-phones add blue or just process it in a way that makes is stand out, turning the blue LEDS off gives a fairly neutral/natural look to the picture.
1040329=62490-LED gel.jpg
>
1040329=62490-LED gel.jpg
class="gc-images" title="LED gel.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1040329=62489-LED raw.jpg
>
1040329=62489-LED raw.jpg
class="gc-images" title="LED raw.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1040329=62491-LED whites only.jpg
>
1040329=62491-LED whites only.jpg
class="gc-images" title="LED whites only.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Wow, very good feedback. Thanks! BTW i finally got my video uploaded to youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIXIYkuupIk">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIXIYkuupIk</a>

See what i mean, just a little too psychedelic for me. Not what i was seeing in reality

Back