Tired of cleaning filter socks? Try this.......

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
There's been some discussions lately regarding filter socks. Who uses them, who doesn't. Why you use them or don't. One consistent issue with filter socks is the clogging, overflowing and cleaning. Nobody likes to clean their socks but it's a necessary evil.

Well.....wait for it.......that could very well be over. Check this out: http://www.rottertube.com/filtration/">http://www.rottertube.com/filtration/</a>

Inexpensive, easy to maintain, built in fail safe....and best of all.....no need for a washing machine or future replacement.

A for effort, but that's worst than having a sock, what are you going to do, disconnect pipe every day?
if your upset with changing filter sock once a week more or less, that little piece of floss would be clogged in hours and the you have to take the piping apart to change a piece of floss.....don't think this would take over the market..........but he was thinking which is good.

with unions on either side, emptying them out would only take about 2 minutes. I dont know if i'm sold, but he's certainly got my attention.

I have seen this recently online. I don't trully understand how it's better than filter socks. About the only advantage I can see is the ease of cleaning (not having to wash filter socks).

He claims that under "normal" conditions, he changes the filter floss once every week. Just like socks but without washing. He also claims it takes about 3 minutes to do a change and be back in operation. His other claim is less noise than socks because there is no cascading water to deal with unless the floss clogs an the overflow kicks in which the sound of would be a key indicator that your are due.

Love the idea... but I just do not see how that tiny little 2x4" filter pad would even compare to a sock... most socks run much higher micron then that tiny pad. I would agree that it probably doesn't get clogged as easily... but I think that because the sock is working a lot hard and pulling a lot more out. I see this maybe being an option on clean systems that require minimal cleaning anyway. Would be nice not to have to clean socks tho.

Jakub

Nice idea and very easy to DIY for a fraction of the cost. All materials should be readily available at your local hardware store...

So what happens when the filter clogs? You end up mopping the floor because the tank overflowed?

(Disclaimer... I didn't watch the complete video... maybe he covered this and I missed it.)

elFloyd;1070319 wrote: So what happens when the filter clogs? You end up mopping the floor because the tank overflowed?

(Disclaimer... I didn't watch the complete video... maybe he covered this and I missed it.)

He covered it and you missed it. LOL!

Looks like a flood waiting to happen. The 1/2" emergency drain isn't nearly enough if the main drain gets clogged with debris, which is essentially what it's designed to do.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Back