To start over or sell?

@Pearldiver - I don't have a UV sterilizer

@EcoReefGuy - Thanks for the information! I was advised to look into one to put in the back right chamber, but I am not sure what I would plug it into –*probably just remove the heater since I never have that thing on.

@Declanisadog - I'm in Dunwoody - north of perimeter mall. I haven't looked into carbon dosing, but I hear some Tangs aren't fond of it.

@DawgFace - Thanks for the input! Do you know of any RSM particular instructions or will the general ones online work?

@WannabeeaReefKeeper - Current light cycle is from 9am to 3:30pm. They are on continuous. I keep the lid have half open to reduce heat, but I think this keeps the lights even less direct, but I could be wrong (since the bulbs are round and all that).

Thanks for the articles! I'll certainly read the conversations around the Cyano and gather more information. Do you have any links for Turf Algae; that stuff is just as much of a nuisance :)

And what are these monthly meetings? This is the first I've heard about this. Maybe it was in the welcome packet that I didn't read thoroughly. I think that would be a great way to get more information though and probably meet some neat people!

Most of the snails come out at night so I just tried to count them. 7 astria snails, 1 nerite snail (?), 1 conch, 26 Cerith snail (?) (1 about 2.5in long and the rest are black about .5in long). The hermits are about 15 tiny ones, and one Hawaiian Zebra Dwarf Hermit Crab (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLXjMtFUQpU">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLXjMtFUQpU</a>)

Just looking at my tank now with a flashlight and no lights on, there are number of bristle worms in the sandbed by the glass.

@Sn4k33y3z - Awesome! Thanks!

@Mikesmith34 - That's why I came here before I did anything else :) I've tried to steer away from chemicals, so that's why I haven't went that route yet.

apipkin;1010663 wrote: @Sn4k33y3z - Is this the stuff to which you are referring? http://www.marinedepot.com/Ultralife_Red_Slime_Remover_Saltwater_Aquarium_Additives_Supplements_Algae_Control-Ultralife-UL1311-FIADAL-vi.html">http://www.marinedepot.com/Ultralife_Red_Slime_Remover_Saltwater_Aquarium_Additives_Supplements_Algae_Control-Ultralife-UL1311-FIADAL-vi.html</a>[/QUOTE]

Definitely use that one and not the one that requires the massive water change. Have heard of issues with that.

@tonymission - I was just reading about the difference between that and the Chemiclean one. Good to know!

apipkin;1010703 wrote: @tonymission - I was just reading about the difference between that and the Chemiclean one. Good to know!

I can vouch the ultra life product got rid of my cyano and it never came back. Of course I kept my nutrients in check afterwards, but it's a good product. Skimmer goes nuts for awhile after.

I also have a hang-on-back skimmer in my garage that I had in an old tank. Could I use that to help try and sort out the nutrients and regulate phosphates and nitrates? Or would that help those at all?

apipkin;1010706 wrote: I also have a hang-on-back skimmer in my garage that I had in an old tank. Could I use that to help try and sort out the nutrients and regulate phosphates and nitrates? Or would that help those at all?

I would if you are skimmerless.

Declanisadog;1010738 wrote: I would if you are skimmerless.

+1 I would definitely run a protein skimmer.

Do you siphon your sand bed when you do water changes? Also, are you running carbon or gfo?

I would start siphoning your sand bed weekly when you do water changes. If you haven't been doing this yet then start off with one section at time, don't do it all at once.

I had a few bad algae blooms within my first year of running and siphoning the sand helped tremendously. After I added carbon and gfo everything cleared up quick.

apipkin;1010698 wrote: @Pearldiver - I don't have a UV sterilizer

@EcoReefGuy - Thanks for the information! I was advised to look into one to put in the back right chamber, but I am not sure what I would plug it into –*probably just remove the heater since I never have that thing on.

@Declanisadog - I'm in Dunwoody - north of perimeter mall. I haven't looked into carbon dosing, but I hear some Tangs aren't fond of it.

@DawgFace - Thanks for the input! Do you know of any RSM particular instructions or will the general ones online work?

@WannabeeaReefKeeper - Current light cycle is from 9am to 3:30pm. They are on continuous. I keep the lid have half open to reduce heat, but I think this keeps the lights even less direct, but I could be wrong (since the bulbs are round and all that).

Thanks for the articles! I'll certainly read the conversations around the Cyano and gather more information. Do you have any links for Turf Algae; that stuff is just as much of a nuisance :)

And what are these monthly meetings? This is the first I've heard about this. Maybe it was in the welcome packet that I didn't read thoroughly. I think that would be a great way to get more information though and probably meet some neat people!

Most of the snails come out at night so I just tried to count them. 7 astria snails, 1 nerite snail (?), 1 conch, 26 Cerith snail (?) (1 about 2.5in long and the rest are black about .5in long). The hermits are about 15 tiny ones, and one Hawaiian Zebra Dwarf Hermit Crab (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLXjMtFUQpU">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLXjMtFUQpU</a>)

Just looking at my tank now with a flashlight and no lights on, there are number of bristle worms in the sandbed by the glass.

@Sn4k33y3z - Awesome! Thanks![/QUOTE]

Different carbon. Some kinds of activated carbon have been linked to HLLE in tangs. Carbon dosing is adding a carbon source (i.e vodka, vinegar, sugar, etc.) for the bacteria in your tank to feed on. [IMG]http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/</a>

Nickh06;1010739 wrote: Do you siphon your sand bed when you do water changes? Also, are you running carbon or gfo?

I would start siphoning your sand bed weekly when you do water changes. If you haven't been doing this yet then start off with one section at time, don't do it all at once.

I had a few bad algae blooms within my first year of running and siphoning the sand helped tremendously. After I added carbon and gfo everything cleared up quick.

+1. Sand holds onto a lot of gross sutff.

@Declanisadog - The RSM 250 has a skimmer in the back, but I didn't know if running a second would be beneficial.

@Nick06 - I have one of the Python Cleaner things (http://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B000255NXC">Amazon.com : 25 Foot - Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System : Aquarium Gravel Cleaners : Pet Supplies@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41W22N72R7L.@@AMEPARAM@@41W22N72R7L</a>) that I use to suck up some of the sandbed but I don't know if that's what you mean by "siphon your sandbed".

I do not do carbon dosing or have a gfo reactor. Do you know of a gfo that will fit into an RSM 250?

---

I just did more research online while looking for a gfo that will fit into the RSM, apparently the sponges they send are nitrate factories too. Is this true? If so, do the carbon bags they give you need to be taken out as well. I'll post this question over at at RSM forum too just for coverage. If I get an answer there, I'll post here as follow up.

If the skimmer you are already running is doing a good job, adding a second won't really do much. You can try it though, but if the skimate goes down on the original, running twois probably not doing very much good. as far as GFO, the CPR nano tumblers actually do a pretty good job. If you want to get a full size reactor though, they don't need to fit in the chamber in the back. Only the pump will need to be submerged. The canister can be mounted next to the tank. you can also just use a media bag. for GFO.

@Declanisadog - Is this the GFO you are referring to?
a>

Exactly. I used one in a 24 gallon aquapod a few years ago, and was really surprised at how well it worked.

Yes, by siphoning the sand bed I mean cleaning it with one of the python cleaners. I think you are getting carbon dosing and running carbon mixed up. They are two different things. Carbon and gfo are usually ran to eliminate excess nitrates and phosphates which cause algae. I would do some research on the two. They can help eliminate excess nutrients and get your tank back where you want it to be. If you feed heavy then you will need to run both. Most people run the BRS dual reactor, it is a good option to start.

@Nickh06 - I'll do the research on the two :) I'm guessing there is also a different carbon (the one in the bags in the back). Should all that bio material be tossed?

Your lighting cycle doesn't seem overly long. I'd just siphon the gunk off the sandbed daily until it strips the tank's excess nutrients for you or run a course of the slime remover product of your choosing if that doesn't make a dent in a week or two.

I'd also look into replacing your sandbed over time - crushed coral tends to act as a detritus trap a lot more readily than the smaller-grain stuff. You can still get a coarse look without snowstorms using a 1.5-2 mm grain aragonite sand (Caribsea or Reef flakes).

As for dealing with the turf algae... IME nothing beats a 1-2 minute 50/50 peroxide dip of any rocks you can do so for easily and stocking an aggressive clean-up crew. I probably have 8-9 hermits in my 9 gallon that keep the sand looking like new and the rock scoured - you might need more. Carefully selected wrt species & size (Clibanarius and Phimochirus tend to stay small and seem to have a preference for picking at rock) they're incredible scavengers with little risk to your snails and later corals. You also may want to consider beefing up your astreas with a few banded trochus - a little finicky on the acclimation but once done they're almost as active as turbos and live a long time, without the bulldozer effect. A few sponsors get them in routinely (Creation and Petland/Dunwoody come to mind).

:roll: Forgot to answer the original question: I'd work to fix it, after all if you break the tank down and start over who's to say you won't be back in the same boat again at some point in the future? Knowing how to effectively deal with a pest or condition's usually worth the pain of gaining said knowledge.

BulkRate;1010765 wrote: :roll: Forgot to answer the original question: I'd work to fix it, after all if you break the tank down and start over who's to say you won't be back in the same boat again at some point in the future? Knowing how to effectively deal with a pest or condition's usually worth the pain of gaining said knowledge.

+1

I went through the same learning curve when I started. Once you get into the chemistry of the reef you are a lot better off. Knowing what causes the algae outbreaks is the key. I personally like the challenge

It sounds like you are really close to a great tank - I would stick it out. After reading everything, here are some things that have come to mind:

1 - your lighting schedule seems fine. T5s should be replaced every year though, so that might be an issue. I don't know how long you've had them. As they start to go bad, they will start to change their spectrum and be more algae-friendly. Just because they still turn on doesn't mean they are good.

2 - you are probably feeding too much - not too often, too much. I wouldn't feed the inverts at all and only feed your fish what they can eat in about 1 minute. Yes, they will still look hungry. No, they don't need more food. If they start to get skinnier on you, increase the amount of food you are putting in.

3 - Can you adjust your skimmer at all? Maybe your skimmer is running, but not very efficiently. You want the collection cup to be catching the gross stuff - it should have a decent amount of gunk in there every week or so. If it doesn't, try and adjust it so the bubbles are higher in the skimmer, making collection easier.

4 - I would recommend a red slime treatment. Personally, I've had great success with red slime remover, but there are lots of products that work very well. Read the instructions carefully.

5 - when you do a water change, make sure to use your "vacuum" on the sand bed and anywhere else that you think might be collecting junk.

6 - you mentioned you have larger particle sand. It might be a good idea to replace it with something finer that won't trap detritus so easily. You could do it all at once if you have somewhere to put your fish for the time being, or replace a little bit with each water change. Start on one side and vacuum up a small amount during the next water change. Once if have an area that's completely clean, fill that part back up with a new sand. Fiji pink seems to be a popular choice from what i've seen. By doing a small amount, followed by a water change, you should be ok.

7. Where do you get your water from? Is it RODI? Tap? From the fish store? If you are using Tap water, there is your algae source. If you have an RODI system, I would recommend getting a TDS meter. It will tell you how clean your water really is. I use an inline meter from Bulk Reef Supply, but they make hand held meters that work great too.

Take things slow and everything will turn out fine. Happy Reefing!

Back