To Suck or To Blow

lol.. ok but you will have to remind me to check in 2 years :) but for what its worth I have had other systems that develop salt creep in a period as quick as a month such as on my aqua c skimmer has crazy salt creep around it but thats because its hanging off the sump

SuperClown;594900 wrote: lol.. ok but you will have to remind me to check in 2 years :) but for what its worth I have had other systems that develop salt creep in a period as quick as a month such as on my aqua c skimmer has crazy salt creep around it but thats because its hanging off the sump

Sure, equipment will have much more salt creep, because salt water is running directly through them. Fans will take a bit more time unless there is salt water splashing up directly in front of them.

Bolded;594915 wrote: So going with this, if the fans are higher up the canopy they will have less salt creep than if they were lower down.

Theoretically, yes. Or if a fan is sitting directly in front of an overflow/return or an HOB piece of equipment, they will cause more salt creep.

beccamc10;594864 wrote: I guess this does not fit me. I should of said a little more. <u>I have a hanging open top canopy,</u>

THAT is why you have such low temperature differential..

the most efficient way to exhaust an area/enclosure that is overheated is to have the fans suck the air out of the enclosure (from one spot) and at the furthest possible location opposite the fans, have vents that allow outside air to enter the enclosure...

...and before anyone starts arguing with me, please visit any ventilated warehouse in the southern united states. Most have mechanical louvers that are opened when the exhaust fans turn on, otherwise, they are just open vents that allow the outside air inside the warehouse - exhausting the overheated air.

by the way... there is already a very detailed thread discussing this same topic, elsewhere on the forum...

If your goal is to remove hot air then have them blow out and mount them in the very highest point possible. Think about the attic ventilation in your attic .
If your goals is to use them for evaporative cooling then mount them over your sump blowing across the surface of the water so there will not be blowing salty air over your nice reflectors and lights.

Every ventilator/fan in every attic in the country is blowing out not blowing air in. Been that way for at least 50 years
Got:thumbs:ta go I'm sure this one will be fun

This was my thinking. Same way chicken houses are cooled down. I am concerned about salt creep though now. I don't mind cleaning the canopy as its not that big anyway. But, I don't want salt getting all over my fixture and diminishing the effectiveness of it. I'll search for that thread you referenced.

As far as evap cooling, I might have to do some research on that as well. I'd rather not run a chiller if I can avoid it.

Thanks for all the replies

Rbredding;594935 wrote: THAT is why you have such low temperature differential..

the most efficient way to exhaust an area/enclosure that is overheated is to have the fans suck the air out of the enclosure (from one spot) and at the furthest possible location opposite the fans, have vents that allow outside air to enter the enclosure...

...and before anyone starts arguing with me, please visit any ventilated warehouse in the southern united states. Most have mechanical louvers that are opened when the exhaust fans turn on, otherwise, they are just open vents that allow the outside air inside the warehouse - exhausting the overheated air.

by the way... there is already a very detailed thread discussing this same topic, elsewhere on the forum...

Back