To those that know protein skimmers well..

rbs

Reaction score
Is this normal "foam"?

This skimmer has been running for a bit and it pulls stuff out but its nothing like the nasty goop you see over the interwebs. I see the foam pull stuff up but its mostly semi bubbly foam and its not frothy. It pulls out somewhat large stuff and almost clear water... as you can see.

SCA-301 skimmer, unmodified
Sitting in 7" of water
SG @ 0.025
Current setting is "3"
Bioload info: 28 gallons total water volume, 2 small clowns, 2 small damsels, 1 fire shrimp, multiple LPS and softies, lots of snails and roughly 35 pounds of liverock.

from my experience, if that's the foam, you can raise the water level in the sump just a bit and see what you get. it's more of trial and error for the optimal eater level. keep in mind that the skimmer performance also depends on your tank water.

Your bioload doesn't seem very high. There has to be enough nutrients in the water for the skimmer to pull from. Have you tested your nitrate level recently? How long has this system been online, is it a new skimmer?

Sn4k33y3z;1096237 wrote: Your bioload doesn't seem very high. There has to be enough nutrients in the water for the skimmer to pull from. Have you tested your nitrate level recently? How long has this system been online, is it a new skimmer?

Nitrate is undetectable using an API test. Consistent result over 3 tests.

The tank has been running close to 6 months total time. Skimmer has been running for almost 2 months.

If you want to raise the level do it in your skimmer body instead of the sump level. Just slowly close the gate valve until it reaches the level you want.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Skimmate varies by tank, by skimmer, by bioload, and by settings.

Looks OK to me. The proof is in the water quality. I'd throw away the API test and get a real test...

Jenn

Back