Tom's Aqualifter mod

ichthyoid

Trustee
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
This came to me while thinking of a way to use a Tom's Aqualifter for dosing. The normal unmodded output is 220ml per minute. That much flow was too high for my application, on my frag tank. This will be great for nano's too!

By adding a recirculation loop using two 'T's' and one needle valve (cheap), you can continuously vary the output from zero flow to wide open. You add them between the input and output of the pump (see picture). By opening the valve, you start the recirculation which reduces the output.

I had this running at one drip every 10 seconds, for 20 minutes with no problem. I even got it all the way down to zero flow!

Two things are required, in addition to the mod, for best operation-

1) You have to purge all of the air from the tubing to get reliable operation. It will still work with some air, but output is not as stable.

2) The output of the tubing needs to be higher than the pump, otherwise lack of back pressure will negate the benefit of the mod.

I would imagine this will work on peristaltic type pumps as well, though I have not tried that yet. Hope this helps-

Edit: I'll make millions! :up:
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
707859=33666-Aqualifter mod.jpg
>
707859=33666-Aqualifter mod.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Aqualifter mod.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Sorry Bill, I filed a patent before your second post. You are out of luck bud. LOL

falos;707869 wrote: Cool mod bill do you thank it would work with photo or rods?

I don't think so, as they would likely clog the valve pretty quickly. This should work for anything that is dissolved though.

rdnelson99;707873 wrote: Sorry Bill, I filed a patent before your second post. You are out of luck bud. LOL

Dadgummit! :mad2:

FWIW- this mod should also work on centrifugal or magnetic drive pumps where a variable flow is desired, as well. Such as-

-fluidized bed reactors using biopellets, or GFO

-calcium reactors

-kalk reactors

etc. (you get the idea, I'm sure)

Lifestudent;707959 wrote: Great idea Bill!

Maybe the moderators should move this thread to the DIY forum! :)
It'll stay on the from page of that forum longer as well. :D
Great job and thanks for sharing Bill

Because I want to dose such a small amount, it was hard getting the enough to bypass without the valve leaking. I used a little teflon tape to which took care of that. Then, I realized just how much differance it makes based on head pressure. But, after lots of tweeking, I can now dose right at 1 ml in 1 minute intervals. :) Thank you bill. I appreciate the cheap fix.

Yes but just Alk. Since going to Red Sea Coral Pro and changing to BRS two part I have had to dose my Alk on a regular basis. The problem is, there is only one thing I am regular with and I usually have a cup of coffee and a good book then. :) I kept forgetting to dose so Alk would fluctuate. I am hoping this will keep it stable for me. I really want to dose 1.5 ml per day but I can only set the timer for 1 min intervals and I have this mod dialed down about as far as possible. So I will see how it goes. I may put in a second interval each day or 3 days a week just to bump it back up but for now I just want to watch and see how it does.

Edit: Correction. I don't know why I kept saying ml (OK so I do know why, it is because I am an idiot but that is beside the point) it should have been fluid oznces. LOL You can smack me now if you like.

Edit: Another thing I thought of is adding a second bypass. It may give a little more control over it. One problem I have is that for the first 30 sec +/- it is just getting the air out of the line. If I ran it for 2 min I would get about 2.5 fl oz which is more than I want. I may also try putting a check valve in so I don't have to worry about purging the air each time. That may be just perfect for my application.

After changing to a high quality valve and installing a check valve on the discharge, I now have it dialed in to give me exactly 1 fl oz in a minutes run time. I like it. :) Great mod Bill. I appreciate it.

That's pretty cool! Great innovation, Bill! I'll keep this in mind if I ever decide to go back to dosing 2 part.

Rich, one thing to consider if you have an issue with adding too much solution, dilute it! Sometimes it is easier to add more water to the mix than have to deal with potential clogs caused from having the valve so restricted.

Ripped Tide;803743 wrote: That's pretty cool! Great innovation, Bill! I'll keep this in mind if I ever decide to go back to dosing 2 part.

Rich, one thing to consider if you have an issue with adding too much solution, dilute it! Sometimes it is easier to add more water to the mix than have to deal with potential clogs caused from having the valve so restricted.

I was considering that and may still go that route. I was able to get it down to 1/2 Fl Oz per minute with the new valve and the check valve. I am going to keep an eye on if for a while and see how it does. If clogging becomes and issue the diluting will be an option.

I'm resurrecting this thread. Ichthyoid do you have any video of it in operation? Are the parts available at Lowes? Also what do you mean about removing air from the tubing?

No video, parts available @ LFS.

It's pretty simple, just purge the air out, then it will run well.

Kirkwood;817952 wrote: I'm resurrecting this thread. Ichthyoid do you have any video of it in operation? Are the parts available at Lowes? Also what do you mean about removing air from the tubing?

Been using this mod for a couple of months and it works great. That is as long as I make sure the air line doesn't have a kink in it. :doh:

rdnelson99;803499 wrote: After changing to a high quality valve and installing a check valve on the discharge, I now have it dialed in to give me exactly 1 fl oz in a minutes run time. I like it. :) Great mod Bill. I appreciate it.

Any pics of your set up here? Would like to see this new valve and anything else associated wit this set up.

Thanks,
Dale

Back