too hot?

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
In my 30 hex, without the MH going, I have the tank set to 78F, but at the end of the photo period the tank is at ~82F (I cut the lights off if the tank exceeds 82.5F which is rare and only on hot days as my AC has not kicked on for summer yet).

Everything had been doing well for a couple months, but I recently had a hammer coral die on me, and I can only seem to attribute it to the heat maybe.

Params are within recommended specs.

Temperature is read from the top 2 inches of water. Filtration is a canister filter that displaces roughly 2-3 gallons.

I would like to hear more opinions but mine would be it may be adding some stress to your corals. IMO 82F seems a bit high, I usually try to keep somewhere around 76F even though 78F is alright as well.

eh, looks like a chiller is in my not too distant future.

I've seen people run tanks that hot, but I'm more concerned with the fluctuation.

Thanks for the comments.

If your AC can maintain the temp around 80F or less I don't think you'll have any problems.

you can try adding more ventelation across the top droped my temps by about 2 degrees. was running about 81 now 79. I have found that corals seem to do better in my system at about 79 degrees for what its worth.

???????? I consistantly run my nano at 82 degrees, and ran my previous larger systems at 83. Corals seem to do better at slightly6 elevated temps. Now days to keep from temp fluctuations at night, I run the tank heater at 82 and keep a fan blowing on it until I get my ceiling fan fixed. This helps it maintain a more even temp as without the fan during the day, I can get temperature swings when the lights go out.

Keep it under 86 and you will be ok. I wouldnt recommend anything over 84 but i have known several people that keep their tanks around 85 86

is the swing from 78 to 82 healthy? If I set my heater to a little higher would that help, or would the swing just do something like 80 to 84?

Back