Too much Flow?

jaydm93teg

Market
Reaction score
In my 80 gallon i have 2 MJ 1200's and one MJ 400 all in seperate corners of the tank. I also have a HOB skimmer and a HOB bio wheel filter but the bio wheels have been taken off so its just filter water through the carbon filters u can buy at petsmart.

Do i have too much flow in the tank?

I was told over on RC that i had way too much flow and i didnt knwo this was possible

Depends on what you are trying to keep. Does not sound like anywhere near too much flow to me.

If those mj's all had mods on them, then it "may" be too much. But if they are just normal flow.....not at all.

one of them has that little rotating head mod but the other two are normal........im just starting to keep beginner coral nothing too major i dont think.....they on RC said it was 3000 GPH and that was WAY TOO MUCH?

i dunno

he prolly thought you had the maxi jet mods done. Regular mj's only put out like 300gph and the 400 is much less. You're lucky to have 800gph in that tank.

There is no way that is too much flow. However, bear in mind, flow can be considered in many different ways. For example, MJ's make a very focued linear flow, so although its only like 300 gph, its all at one focused spot. So that may be too much FORCEFUL flow at that spot. In contrast, stream-type pumps make very wide dispersed flow, so the water velocity may be the same at a spot, but the dispersion is enormously larger.

3000 gph in an 80 gallon tank is not even overkill. Certainly not for SPS.

haha yeah i know but this board was running a little slow that day so i figured i would post up on RC i was scared i was gonna lose my new frags so i went over there for a bit. not long though

In my opinion, you should probably pick up two Hydor 3 or 4 pumps. The maxijets are only supplying about 700 gph and without much dispersion. Moving to Hydors will cut your power on the pumps (less heat in the tank) and greatly increase your water movement which will help your tank no matter what corals you want to keep.

Back