Top off water bin ideas?

You could send the measurements to a tank/sump shop and have one built. Or find a handy member to trade or pay

Im going to recommend against what youre trying to do. Once the height of that fills with water, that plastic is going to severely distort, especially with the rim cut off as it is. The plastics they use are not made to withstand that type of pressure, and it will bow and bow, or even worse, start to split. Then youll have that top off water on your floor. If you are set on this, look into spending some $$ and having an acrylic one made. MRC will make you anything in any dimensions.

The way it is, the wall and stand should prevent any major bowing. You really think it will split? I would be very surprised if it did, and I am not going to spend a couple hundred bucks on a top off bin.

I had on that did, and I didn't even cut the lip off. They are made to support that outward pressure. If you have it braced, it might be ok, but I learned the hard way.

Jeremy,
How big was your that split? I have two and you make me get concerned.

Joe

rostato;305231 wrote: The way it is, the wall and stand should prevent any major bowing. You really think it will split? I would be very surprised if it did, and I am not going to spend a couple hundred bucks on a top off bin.

Maybe you can use two of them stacked in each other. They should still squish in there and you would have a double layer in case of a split???

stacy22;305337 wrote: Maybe you can use two of them stacked in each other. They should still squish in there and you would have a double layer in case of a split???

Not a bad idea at all! I may try that...

jmaneyapanda;305326 wrote: I had on that did, and I didn't even cut the lip off. They are made to support that outward pressure. If you have it braced, it might be ok, but I learned the hard way.

Where did it split?

jmaneyapanda;305188 wrote: Im going to recommend against what youre trying to do. Once the height of that fills with water, that plastic is going to severely distort, especially with the rim cut off as it is. The plastics they use are not made to withstand that type of pressure, and it will bow and bow, or even worse, start to split. Then youll have that top off water on your floor. If you are set on this, look into spending some $$ and having an acrylic one made. MRC will make you anything in any dimensions.

Yeah I filled it up, and it bows out A LOT! So I am gonna get another one and double up. I figure with two of them and being squished in between the wall and stand it should be fine.

Thanks for the warning!

jhutto;305329 wrote: Jeremy,
How big was your that split? I have two and you make me get concerned.

Joe

It was a small "squat" one, like 10 gallons or something. The issue is they are not made to support the outward pressure, and the materials are typically VERY thin and pliable. SO, the put pressure on areas where pressure shouldnt, and never intended to be.

Where did it split?

Right down a corner. It didnt tear from an edge either. It made its own hole, and just tore open.

finished! that is 2 containers put together, and cut to the same size. I have more pics on how I did it, I just need to find them.

DSC00278.jpg
alt="" />

This is from when I cut it. When I did the two pretty much melted and welded themselves together. It's really sturdy. I fill it all the way to under my feed line with no problems. So far it lasts around a week!

DSC01647.jpg
alt="" />

Back