Tragedy strikes

dylanwright826

Market
Reaction score
Please help. I have a 55 gallon sw with a 20 gallon sump...60ish lbs of live rock in the display and 40 lbs of live sand..tanks been established for about 3 months now with no problems with anything...2 fire fish, mandrine dragonette, lawnmower goby couple dozen hermits, and a half dozen astria snails and 4 pepermints. Oh and an arrow crab due to the start of a flat worm problem, which is now all better, thanks little buddy.
The problem is that my sump sprung a leak a week ago. So I drained the sump, and gutted it to redo the silicone. Did all that, let it cute for 36 hours, filled it with new water( essentially doing a water change) and turned everything on. Here I am LESS than a week later and all my testes are TERRIBLE.
P.h. 7.8
Nh3/nh4 1.0 ppm
No2. 0.50 ppm
No3. 40 ppm
Ca2. 350 ppm

What in God's name is going on...is my tank re-cycling for some reason? PLEASE HELP!

Did you use 100% silicone or the stuff with mold and mildew inhibitors?

Do you run any reactors? Is it possible that stagnant water in something killed the micro organisms contained within and you are now going through an ammonia cycle?

I hate it when my "Testes are Terrible". hehehehehe Sorry couldn't resist.

As John said, check the silicone you used. In the meantime, take the sump out of the equations again. Just keep a power head going to oxygenate the water.

I used 100 pecent silicone..even said aquarium safe on it..and as of right now the sump is bare..nothing in it but the return pump
No reactors unless you consider a skimmer a reactor

So insofar as "tragedy strikes" - are things closing up/dying (yes, tragedy) or are your tests just coming back with concerning results (worrying, but correctable)?

Not meaning to make light of your concerns, mind you. But if the latter I'd just dose in some Prime/Alpha over the next few days to bind the ammonia into a less toxic form and maybe step up water changes for a week or two. If the former more comprehensive action may be needed to save what you can.

75% wc and have done imo.

did you put the old rock back in? if so... prepare for a recycle

Well..I'm pretty sure I'm not seeing all of my astria snails and I have indeed lost a shrimp..my dunkin closed and hasn't opened..and has bleached a tad. But my frog spawn zoeanthids and everything else is good as far as I can tell

dylanwright826;1071687 wrote: Well..I'm pretty sure I'm not seeing all of my astria snails and I have indeed lost a shrimp..my dunkin closed and hasn't opened..and has bleached a tad. But my frog spawn zoeanthids and everything else is good as far as I can tell

this tells us nothing

...help us help you

I think pictures of your setup might be beneficial. Some times, the smallest thing could be causing issues and pictures are worth a thousand words.

Someone has already asked, but I will ask again. What is your salinity reading?

dylanwright826;1071687 wrote: Well..I'm pretty sure I'm not seeing all of my astria snails and I have indeed lost a shrimp..my dunkin closed and hasn't opened..and has bleached a tad. But my frog spawn zoeanthids and everything else is good as far as I can tell

And this was an answer to someone's question

dylanwright826;1071708 wrote: Yes?api?
Throw those in the trash and get better kits. You may be chasing a phantom. How are you testing salinity? Are you using a refractometer?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back