Tragedy strikes

rdnelson99;1071729 wrote: Throw those in the trash and get better kits. You may be chasing a phantom. How are you testing salinity? Are you using a refractometer?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Noooo.😞
I'm using a stick on hydrometer
And what kind of test kit would you suggest?

Yeah API tests kits are pretty useless unless you are just using the dip strips for a very basic general idea of water quality. The masters kits a notoriously inaccurate. I would look into Seachem or Redsea test kits. Both are high quality and more then accurate enough for hobby level reef tanks.

Also if you are using a hydrometer make sure it is rinsed thoroughly before and after every use with clean fresh RO water preferably. One of the biggest issues with hydrometers is that people don't rinse them and the salt residue stays on the float and throws off your measurements.

aXio;1071802 wrote: Yeah API tests kits are pretty useless unless you are just using dip strips for a very basic general idea of water quality. Otherwise I would look into Seachem, Redsea, or Salifert test kits.

Also if you are using a hydrometer make sure it is rinse thoroughly before and after every use with clean RO water preferably. One of the biggest issues with hydrometers is that people don't rinse them and the salt residue stays on the float and throws off your measurements.
Duly noted. Quick question though, if I never take the hydrometer out of the water do I need to rinse it?

dylanwright826;1071803 wrote: Duly noted. Quick question though, if I never take the hydrometer out of the water do I need to rinse it?

The hydrometers that are kept in the water permanently are not ideal or as accurate in my opinion. For a lot of the same reasons. Detritus, algae, diatoms, etc can get on the float and throw off your measurements as well. I feel if your are going to us a in-tank hydrometer for easy of use it needs to "matched/checked" with a refractometer for accuracy. In-fact it is very good practice to bring any salinity testing equipment to your LFS with you and let them match it to theirs at the store. That way you have an outside source checking for accuracy. I would be checking the hydrometer for accuracy at least every 1-2 months depending on how often you are using and how well you are rinsing/cleaning it.

But in general hydrometers will never be 100% accurate in my opinion compared to a refractometers... but if hydrometers are taken care of properly and used properly they should be accurate enough for hobby level use.

Jakub

aXio;1071804 wrote: The hydrometers that are kept in the water permanently are not ideal or as accurate in my opinion. For a lot of the same reasons. Detritus, algae, diatoms, etc can get on the float and throw off your measurements as well. I feel if your are going to us a in-tank hydrometer for easy of use it needs to "matched/checked" with a refractometer for accuracy. In-fact it is very good practice to bring any salinity testing equipment to your LFS with you and let them match it to theirs at the store. That way you have an outside source checking for accuracy. I would be checking the hydrometer for accuracy at least every 1-2 months depending on how often you are using and how well you are rinsing/cleaning it.

But in general hydrometers will never be 100% accurate in my opinion compared to a refractometers... but if hydrometers are taken care of properly and used properly they should be accurate enough for hobby level use.

Jakub
Ok, good to know...I do water changes twice a month and every time I do, I take the hydrometer and rinse it out...but I will buy a refractometer for sure, just to be sure

aXio;1071802 wrote: Y
Also if you are using a hydrometer make sure it is rinsed thoroughly before and after every use with clean fresh RO water preferably. One of the biggest issues with hydrometers is that people don't rinse them and the salt residue stays on the float and throws off your measurements.

aXio;1071804 wrote:

Jakub

I agree 100%.

Back