transporting a fish?

Reefplumber13

Market
Reaction score
ok just a ??? im going back to pcb and if the lfs donw there has the fish they had last time for the same price i want to get one if i can and bring it back how would i go about this if i can???????

I am far from being an expert or even come close to having the knowledge and experience level of some of the other members. But I would do something like take a simple like the way the fish are shipped to one's home. So, take a cooler large enough to hold the bag the fish will be in and then pack some sort of filler such as old newspaper around the bag within the cooler. I would pick up the fish at the store on the morning that I headed back home.

My idea of what I would do anyway. :)

Greg

Just tell the LFS you will be traveling for 4-6 hours home and need plenty of Oxygen in a big bag and triple the bags, just in case one develops a hole. Then you can put the bag in a box as Fishhook described or a salt bucket would work. Pickup the fish last minute before you leave to come home. Wouldn't be a horrible idea to bring an air pump and air stone just in case.

<span style="color: black;">I have bought fish 8 hours away before. I have just had them double bagged and oxygen added to the bag as mentioned. Don't worry about it. There will be no issue going from PCB to Atlanta. Put the bag in some type of small cooler like a collapsible one. This way there will less of a temp change and if it changes it will be slower. jmo and hope this helps.</span>

Companies overnight ship fish all the time and they have no problems going 12+ hours. They will likely survive 24 hours at least in a bag properly aired up. If you are worried, open the bag up along the way and swish it around. I wouldn't be concerned at all personally.

What store down there...I'm going first weekend of August.

Another option is to take a 5g bucket with lid and have them put the fish and water in there. You can hook a small 50w heater and an airstone up to a 12v inverter if you like.

46bfinga;199716 wrote: What kind of fish is it?
here is a link
showthread.php

Pretty common. Rare to get one eating prepared foods. It does say expert only. The only person I think has ever had success with one is Jin, and he is the wrasse king. You really need to make sure that he is eating mysis or pellets. If he's not eating, don't even think about buying him unless you have a large tank 75-100 gallons with a refugium and a huge pod population. Just my $.02.

You can purchase a portable livewell for a Kayak. THese include a battery powered airpump and airstone. The portable livewells we use are insoluated. We them for keeping mullet and pin fish alive while fishing.

Back