Tri-color Acro Help!

genesis

Market
Reaction score
So I got this Acro a couple weeks ago and when I got it it had some ugly waving hand on the rock this acro had encrusted on. In an attempt to remove the acro from the rock I broke off the colony from the base :eek: unfortunately. Recently I've noticed that on the stem of the colony where it broke off that it has started bleaching white. This is my first Acro so I'm not sure if this is normal, STN, RTN????
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1004089=58319-image.jpg
>
1004089=58319-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Pic 2
1004090=58320-image.jpg
>
1004090=58320-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Pic 3
1004091=58321-image.jpg
>
1004091=58321-image.jpg

Yeah that's not good. Personally I would chop that up and make frags out of it but that's no guarantee either and Id hate you listening to me on that.

It's hard to stop once it starts. Could also try gluing all the white and try to slow the necrosis.

tonymission;1004092 wrote: Yeah that's not good. Personally I would chop that up and make frags out of it but that's no guarantee either and Id hate you listening to me on that.

It's hard to stop once it starts. Could also try gluing all the white and try to slow the necrosis.

So you would say it is necrosis?

Genesis;1004093 wrote: So you would say it is necrosis?

I would, yes. But I can't give you a suggestion because it's such a crapshoot and acros just kind of do their own thing man. Its a love hate with me. I love them but dang... they drive me nuts.

If it were mine I would cut just above the white making sure to cut it all off. Then I'd dip it every other day for the next ten days in an iodine based dip.
I got this off Reef Central and it worked on several of my SPS including my Tri Color!
GL

Camellia;1004152 wrote: If it were mine I would cut just above the white making sure to cut it all off. Then I'd dip it every other day for the next ten days in an iodine based dip.
I got this off Reef Central and it worked on several of my SPS including my Tri Color!
GL

One thing I wanted to add is there is no flesh coming off just bleached out on the stem. I think I will cut it above the white part. I have some iodine but I thought it was for dosing as a supplement. Can this same one be used for dips (brightwell aquatics)? After that I will glue it and hopefully that should do it

If it happened as quickly as you describe I think the above comments are on point.
I'd personally cut it and dip it .
Good luck sorting it out , sorry its a bummer to chop stuff up for this type of reason.

****, Brandon...I'm sorry to see this happen. I hope you can get it sorted out and not lose any of it.

dip the entire piece in Bayer,Coral Rx or Revive to be sure theres no acro eating flatworms on it.they love the base/shady parts of acros and validas are one of their favorite acros to infest.

reeferman;1004277 wrote: dip the entire piece in Bayer,Coral Rx or Revive to be sure theres no acro eating flatworms on it.they love the base/shady parts of acros and validas are one of their favorite acros to infest.

+1 on everyone's advice. I could have given you some Coral RX while you were here. Are your parameters steady? If they aren't sticks will go sick on you in a heartbeat especially Alk swings.

Why are you dosing iodine? Should be no reason to. Are you testing for iodine levels? Best advice I have ever received is don't dose anything unless you can test for it and be sure it is needed first. Quickest way to getting things out of wack is blind dosing.

rdnelson99;1004298 wrote: Why are you dosing iodine? Should be no reason to. Are you testing for iodine levels? Best advice I have ever received is don't dose anything unless you can test for it and be sure it is needed first. Quickest way to getting things out of wack is blind dosing.

Very much a word to the wise troop

rdnelson99;1004298 wrote: Why are you dosing iodine? Should be no reason to. Are you testing for iodine levels? Best advice I have ever received is don't dose anything unless you can test for it and be sure it is needed first. Quickest way to getting things out of wack is blind dosing.

Agreed. My LFS told me to dose Iodine. Magnesium and calcium without testing. Just put in this much each day. Not good information. Test before any dosing.

Tbub1221;1004242 wrote: If it happened as quickly as you describe I think the above comments are on point.
I'd personally cut it and dip it .
Good luck sorting it out , sorry its a bummer to chop stuff up for this type of reason.

I think that's what I'm going to do, thanks

J.B.;1004250 wrote: ****, Brandon...I'm sorry to see this happen. I hope you can get it sorted out and not lose any of it.

It's fine, I'm sure I can save it.

reeferman;1004277 wrote: dip the entire piece in Bayer,Coral Rx or Revive to be sure theres no acro eating flatworms on it.they love the base/shady parts of acros and validas are one of their favorite acros to infest.

Thanks I will do that

Mikesmith34;1004290 wrote: +1 on everyone's advice. I could have given you some Coral RX while you were here. Are your parameters steady? If they aren't sticks will go sick on you in a heartbeat especially Alk swings.

All parameters are good, no alk swings. I'm almost positive it was a result of breaking it

Back